Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 1/2 month old not eating well

Default 4 1/2 month old not eating well

I have a 4.5 month old that is not eating well the past 3 days. She is EBF and her diapers are not as soaked. At the breast she latches on for only a few minutes, and the pops off. She'll start to fuss if I don't switch her to the other breast. She'll do the same thing with that breast. She will eat for approx 6 minutes total. She used to eat for 20 minutes! She gets real fussy after the initial latch. I try not to do anything for those first few minutes hoping that she will stay on longer but she doesn't. Any ideas what's going on?

Her diapers are not as wet. Other than that she is happy, drooling lots, no fever or anything. Does teething sometimes reduce appetitie?

Default Re: 4 1/2 month old not eating well

Yep sometimes teething can really effect how they eat! You mentioned that her diapers are not soaked, about how many do you think she's having per day?

You might try giving her something cold to chew on before she nurses, or whatever remedy you feel comfortable with for teething pain. It might be that it hurts her a little to nurse.

Can you hear her swallowing at all, or do you feel your letdown (some moms don't at all, so no worry if you don't) also it's possible that's she's getting a little more efficient at the breast as well. Some babies really cut back but are still getting about the same amount.

How did she do the rest of the day today?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Regarding the number of diapers, I get really one good soaked one in the morning (because she nurses still twice during the night) so obviously she is getting good milk there. However for the rest of the day the diapers are wet, but only about half as wet as to what I am used to. Typically she always had 6+ really wet ones a day. This new pattern has been going on for 3 days now.

No, I don't feel letdowns, but I can always hear them if I am in a quiet surrounding, or I can see that she is having one by the way she swallows. I do hear swallows, in general it seems however she is not eating as much. She gets so frustrated and crabby so quickly when eating. She latches on and off so much it's crazy.

I thought of something else about an hour ago. I might of self-induced this. The past few days I've really tried to watch what I am eating. I've really ballooned weight wise while breastfeeding, and if I don't start to level off my weight soon or stop gaining it's going to really be a bad thing for me physically. I've still been eating, but really watching it. Could my milk supply have dipped that fast?

The change in your diet could have impacted your supply, if it's a radical change. How do you feel about adding a little bit back into your diet, to see how things go? For nursing mothers that are trying to lose weight, they sometimes find that they have to play with how much they eat to lose weight, yet still keep baby happy.

Have you started on any medications lately, like BC? That's known to lower supply.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

no, new meds. Plus, I'm on Reglan.
    I didn't stop eating or anything the past few days, but I did try to eat a little less. I eat really healthy, but no matter on how good I eat I seem to gain weight lately. Tomorrow I'll try eating more, maybe my supply will be better. Who knows, maybe it's teething? Hard to tell I guess.

Well, FWIW, teething is always my first culprit for anything that happens to a baby between about 3mo and whenever tooth #20 comes in!! Everything from generaly grumpiness to decreased eating to increased waking at night. You name it, I'll blame it on teething. At first, anyway.

I realize that many babies just have teeth that magically appear in their mouths without anybody being the wiser. My children were not so fortunate (and neither was I ).

So, I would heartily second the suggestions that llljessica gave. Perhaps you might consult your baby's health care provider to find out what sort of pain relief (if you feel it's necessary) would be appropriate.

One last thought--everything hurts worse at night.