Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to deal with plugged duct?

Unhappy How to deal with plugged duct?

Hi,

I just weaning my DD about a week ago after nursing for 26 mos. We started food at 7 mos or so and reduced to nap and night time only about 2 or 3 mos. ago. My breasts were really flat before the real end of BF for us and I figured I would have no problem with ducts clogging, etc. And for a week I just had fuller, not hard or painful.

THEN, last night I notced tenderness and hard feeling in the top of my left and this morning a quarter shaped light red spot. Anyways I took a shower and expressed a lot out, I tried to push on that duct too and it definitely helped, now the hardness is gone, but the tenderness is still there a little.

I'm pretty sure this is being caused by a ten pound weight vest I wear to exercise....I know, tres dumb. How long should I keep expressing? I don't have a fever but I don't want to keep up a supply forever. I've read alot of conflicting advice about warm or cold compresses? I'm leaning towards warm? Anyone have advice? Thanks!

Default Re: How to deal with plugged duct?

I just read in the oversupply forum that soy lechitin can help? Anyone have success with this to avoid plugged ducts?

If the plug seems to be gone, and it's just tender you might keep massaging it and not expressing and see how it goes.
    It will probably be tender for a few days, but that's totally normal.

Have you thought about using cabbage leaves to decrease the supply? Here's some more info on them.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I just got up feeling sick to my stomach, turns out I ate something bad or it's mastitis, luckily I have the antibiotics and just took the first one... I didn't have streaking on the breast or a fever about 6-7 hours ago at the MD office, but I definitely feel bad now. This is not how I pictured ending my nursing with my DD....I think I may be getting my period soon, maybe that is making me ill too?...I don't know.

Any advice on how long to clear up while on antibiotics? This s***ks.

are you running a fever?
    It shoudn't take more then a few days to feal beter.

Thanks for responding. I don't have a fever and I feel much better today. Nursing has been so easy for the past 2 years I think I overreacted to a problem I guess is pretty common.

So glad your feeling better!!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

hope you feel better. i had a plugged duct recently and it can be really sore for a few days. i just massaged really gently a lot of the time -much to embarrassment of dh when out & about, but if it felt sore I just did a sort of stroking massage towards the nipple, and it seemed to help, only took a few days to clear but i am still nursing ds a lot too. hope you are all better soon x
    "You may strive to be like them,
    but seek not to make them like you" Kahlil Gibran