Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much solids for a 9 month old??

Default How much solids for a 9 month old??

So I know solids are still secondary as nutrition untill after a year, but I am wondering if she is eating too many solids. I am EP and JUST keeping up with her demand, but when we went to her 9 month well visit, she fell off the curve for weight. The DR was not worried, but I am wondering if she is filling up on solids and not interested in BM.

Her is her schedule.

3:30-6:30 am 4 oz

8:30 am yogurt and fruit (about 1/2 cup)

10:30am 4 oz

12:15pm 1 veggie (the organic jarred)

3:30 pm 4 oz

5:30 4 oz

7:15 1/2 jar veggie 1/2 jar fruit

8:30 4 oz

I offer her the milk before the solids, but she seems to know that it is solids time and wants them instead. She also eats cheerios, cheese puffs, and other "snacks" through the day.

Does this seem OK??

TIA
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Default Re: How much solids for a 9 month old??

Ahhh I see your LO is a crawler, maybe thats why she has dropped off the charts because she became a whole lot more active?

I don't think that is too much at all. I know my son ate alot of solids. Though he was only eatting 2 meals a day at 9 months and snacks abit through out the day. We didn't add in breakfast until he was very close to a year old.

I think it seems fine to me. If you are thinking though that lessening solids would help any, why don't you give that a try?

Southwestern Ontario, the banana belt of Canada!

Good for you, for sticking with the pumping. How many times are you able to pump? Short, frequent pumping is often more effective than infrequent lengthy pumping sessions. If you're trying to make more, can you take a couple of days and pump like crazy to imitate a growth spurt? Doesn't sound like your little girl is eating way too much solids. If you're worried that she's letting you fill her up with them, have you considered giving her the finger food version of what she eats, and letting her help herself? If you're on Facebook, there's a UK group called Babyled Weaning, that deals with babies feeding themselves. ("Weaning" in the UK means starting solids, not ending breastfeeding.)

Here's the coolest pumping video I've ever seen. These ladies are really getting the most out of their pumping. Maybe this approach will work for you, or save you some time. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    A master is anyone who knows more than you do.

Southwestern Ontario, the banana belt of Canada!

One more thing: if your daughter was nursing, you might be scooping her up to offer the breast even though she wasn't asking, because she is so physically active. You can do the same by picking her up for a cuddle and a drink, when you think she needs some hug time, She may not drink much, but every ounce counts.
    A master is anyone who knows more than you do.

If you are having trouble keeping up with demand, I see nothing wrong with offering solids more frequently. Your lo is eating about ewhat my 9 mo is.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jdsmom View Post

Here's the coolest pumping video I've ever seen. These ladies are really getting the most out of their pumping. Maybe this approach will work for you, or save you some time. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    I actually saw this video when we had to pump full-time when we had thrush and she would never go back on. I still try and get her on every once in a while, without luck. I do the hand compression during each pumping session.

I get in at least 6-7 pumping sessions during the day. I also thought that the reason she is off the chart is because she is so active now. She will be walking any day!

I was just worried I was stuffing her with solids and snacks, and not getting the nutrition she needed to grow from BM, but now I am not so worried!

Thanks all
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)