Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My Twins are almost 2!!

Default My Twins are almost 2!!

My twin girls will be 2 next month (july) and I just recently found out that it might be possible for me to start lactation again after fighting to pump for 3 months but dried up. I have found out so much more information since then about milk upkeep since the birth of my 15 year old teen AND after I had already dried up with my young twins. My girls were born too early at 36/5 by cesarean....a HUGELY bad call on the part of my OB, my butt-inski MIL and my being so sick during my pregnancy. Anyway, the pain of a cesarean, no sleep, lack of nursing support caused me to dry up.

Short strokes, I'd like to get my milk supply going again, my girls are able to suck properly now, but they won't remember any of it since they really didn't latch well, no sucking power and everyone kept sticking a bottle in their mouth before I could try again. Very frustrating.

If there's a way I can get my milk supply started preferably without the use of drugs as I'm highly drug sensitive, and how do I teach almost 2 year olds to nurse properly when it would be new?? If it could work, I'd let them self wean even if it goes till they are 4 years of age and what a success story it would be!!!

Default Re: My Twins are almost 2!!

I think it's amazing that you want to try to do this!
    I have not relactated but I've seen success stories from ladies here on the forum.
    I just thought I'd pop in with a word of support and provide this link with more resources.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks, I'm gonna need as many prayers as any luck to restart my milk supply. I checked out your link, I was on Kellymom yesterday and it did say that women who were adopting and had even had hysterectomy's could still lactate. I haven't found anything though on how to introduce 2 toddlers to breastfeeding, it's going to take as much convincing for them as my family that this is something that's a great thing, they're both such fidget midgets, not sure how to get them to suckle and stay still!!

Southwestern Ontario, the banana belt of Canada!

Do they have pacifiers? Do they suck them to go to sleep? Could be you could cuddle them close, pop the pacifier out, and yourself in, preferably when they are ready for a sound sleep but not totally out of it? Some of the tips for managing a nursing strike might work, and be sure to let us know how it goes, because I think you're breaking new ground here.

I hope you can work with a La Leche League leader, or LC, near you. Go to La Leche League Canada's website to find a group near you. http://www.lllc.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jdsmom View Post
    I hope you can work with a La Leche League leader, or LC, near you. Go to La Leche League Canada's website to find a group near you. http://www.lllc.ca/
    How can you tell she's in CAN??

I was just going to say that while I don't know for sure I think some sort of galactalgogue is neccessary for relactiation??

But do contact an LLL leader!!! (link to find one near you in my siggy - but if you're in CAN I guess use the one above )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

You're right.........I live in London Ontario actually. We just had on of our Londonmoms give birth yesterday in the wee hours of the morning(Tues) and I really wish I could borrow her baby to suckle for about a week or 2.

It sounds like I'm going to need a lot of equipment to get my milk started, pump, an over the shoulder unit who's name I can't think of right now. Until I can get a hold of the LLL in London, I was thinking of contacting the Health Unit here and seeing if they have any resources to help out with some of this equipment so it doesn't cost me a fortune. I've only started the fenugreek/blessed thistle tea and am eating my oatmeal, no caffeine and tons of water to prepare my body, now I need a willing participant to suckle away OR equipment to get things started!
    Last edited by @llli*patricia.girlsmum; June 26th, 2008 at 07:46 AM.