Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - Is there something wrong?

Default Help - Is there something wrong?

My baby is 6 weeks old (she was a premie born at 34 weeks). We transitioned from bottle to mostly breastfeeding a few weeks ago. She started feeding about 2 1/2-3 hours between feedings, and nursed for 10-15min each side.

Over the last week she has grow increasingly fussy (she does better in our arms) and has been nursing every 1 1/2-2 hours for only 10-15 minutes. She still continues to have plenty of wet diapers a day (more than 8), her frequency of poops has decreased though. We get about 2-3 a day which is "normal".

Has anyone experienced this - provide any help/advice? My pediatrition told us to try gas drops which we did which seemed to help somewhat, but now she isvery loud while layng down (squeaks, cries, noises). At night, she doesn't stay laying down peaceful for long - 30 min. Is this just something that happens as they grow older?
    Last edited by @llli*mia61008; July 21st, 2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Add more

Default Re: Help - Is there something wrong?

6 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt which would explain the more frequent feedings. Also, the number of poops does decrease over time. My son only has a poo once a week (he's now four months) and that's completely normal. Breastfed babies can poop daily or not for several days.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

and welcome!!

Sounds like you're doing a great job so far. This might not be your problem, but I had an issue with my daughter not getting enough of the fatty hindmilk when she was about that age. I was switching sides too soon and she was filling up on foremilk before she got to the hindmilk and it was upsetting her tummy. Another indication of an imbalance can be green poop.

If you think this might be what's wrong you can try encouraging her to nurse longer on the same side or for the next feeding start her on the same breast you ended on the last time.

There are other possibilities, too. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some other ideas!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Agreed with the poster above

Here are a few links to give you more info :thumsbup

Growth spurts

Fussy Baby

Series of resources regarding baby poo here
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.