Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lactation room blues....

Default Lactation room blues....

Ok, here I am on my plactivist (pumping lactivist) wagon again...and sorry that's it's a vent...

We FINALLY got a pumping room at work. It is "just" an extra office in the basement, but it is private and it is not the locker room Since they told us we could use it, we have had several issues with management about it. First, they are painting most of the offices in the building. EVERYONE was told they could pick out the color they wanted for their office, but if we wanted to contractors to paint (instead of painting it ourselves) we would have to use the standard color. So, we were sending e-mails back and forth to facilities about painting and the facilities guy says "Remember, this will be turned back into a Professional's office when it's needed again" Like we were going to pick out some HIDEOUS LACTATION COLOR SCHEME or something I don't get it. Second, we just got the room and they are already planning to take it away?
    Then, I e-mailed the boss who said we could use it to say thanks and to ask if an e-mail could be sent out to the entire complex (5 buildings) to announce that the room was available (I literally cannot send out such an e-mail). His reply was "No e-mail is needed. All the Division Directors know about the room." Ok, all the Division directors are MEN and are they going to go around and tell each and every pregnant woman they see about this room? Probably not. It's a little disheartening. There are 2 of us pumping now, one who is very pregnant and will be pumping starting soon, one who is TTC, and 5 others who said they will use this room within the next 2 years. And that's just in my building (1 out of 5)!
    Any suggestions for spreading the word? I already posted a sign in the locker room where we used to pump, but some of the women who came in there were less than supportive (actually really annoyed that we pumped in there) and I am not sure they will spread the word. I also told one of the cafetoria workers who told me that she had BF her babies and asked her to spread the word.
    We were so excited about the room and now we are just disheartened....
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Default Re: Lactation room blues....

How bittersweet!

Are there break rooms where you could post a note about it? Maybe someone can type up the details and have a contact to call about questions. You could maybe ask HR about putting this in new hire packets, or posting something up in the elevators or stairwells.
    Who was the main help getting the lactation room set up? You might get with that person about getting the word out!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is. When we got our lactation room (basically because we pushed about our state's new law regarding lactation places) we were also told that if there was a business need for the room it would be taken away. We were also told that we could not call it a lactation room. There is a manager on each floor that knows about it but it is not heavily publicized. I think the theory is that if someone needs a place to pump they will talk with management who will let them know about the room. But, we all know that does not always happen. Many women are uncomfortable talking with management about pumping. I really don't have any suggestions for you, but it does seem to be a common theme! We have just been telling people we know about it and hope that the word spreads. Good luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

It is really funny how people are finally starting to believe that breastfeeding is great and some of those same people are still so afraid to accept it. We have a lactation room where I work, which I didn't know about until about 2 months after I started here. When I asked other mothers who pumped they all had used the locker room and didn't know about the lactation room. They don't post anything anywhere for people to really know about it, although the room does have a sign on it that says lactation room and has a slider to know if it is vacant or occupied. The room has apparently been there for years. It is a locked room so you have to sign it out and get the key and then bring the key back. At least it is a place - and a place it is, nothing fancy or really comfortable for that matter. There is a table and a hard plastic chair to sit on, but it does have a sink. I understand your frustration & I am not sure how I would go about getting the word out either. With there being a few buildings and sounds like several women that would use the room, maybe your local Le Leche League can pass that info around also, or maybe you can let dr offices or any lactation consultants know, so if they come across somebody working there they can pass the word. That is actually how I found out about ours. The local LL Leader told me!
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laineysmom View Post
    We were also told that we could not call it a lactation room.
    What are you supposed to call it??? Amazing.

I'm sorry that there are others in the same situation as us. I will talk to the person who pushed to get us the room to see if he can help us get the word out. He is actually very pro-bf - his wife bf their two kids for a year each while working, so he knows everything that goes with working and bf.

Thanks ladies! I'll keep you posted
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09