Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Daycare feeding schedule

Default Daycare feeding schedule

I am looking for a feeding schedule to send to daycare with my 7 month old. Since my DD started eating solids there has been a lot of confusion with the daycare providers on how to feed her and when. I thought I told them that she will take a 4 oz bottle of BM then food mixed with cereal and BM for breakfast and lunch. The amounts depend on how my DD is feeling. The times between feedings should increase since she is eating food. Well, I guess the teachers need more guidance.

Does anyone have advice on how I should schedule my DD feedings? On the weekends it is usually just breakfast lunch and dinner for food and she nurses on demand.

Thanks!

Default Re: Daycare feeding schedule

My DD is 8.5 months old, a bit older than your LO, but here is how the meals are scheduled at her daycare.

8am - breakfast (solids)

9am - bottle of breastmilk or formula (5-6oz)

11am - lunch (solids)

12pm - bottle of breastmilk or formula (5-6oz)

2pm - snack (solids)

3pm - bottle of breastmilk or formula (5-6oz)

5pm - snack (solids)

So she is still getting a bottle of formula or breastmilk (depending on how much I pumped the day before!) every 3 hours. I should add that when my DD was first starting solids, her breakfast/lunch/snacks were usually either baby rice cereal, baby oatmeal, pureed fruits or veggies, or some combination of those things. Now that we have introduced more table food items, her meals are mostly table foods, with the occasional pureed veggie or fruit, depending on if she can eat/likes the table food being served. At this point, I am still not allowing daycare to feed her any meat, no fish, no strawberries, and no citrus, but that still leaves TONS of stuff she can have while she's there.

I should also add that my DD goes to daycare on a military installation, and the daycare is AWESOME! I SOOOO love her daycare The meals are very well balanced, and the menu is approved by a dietician. Also, they provide ALL the food, to include formula (if needed)! If I couldn't pump enough milk the day before, I just take in an empty bottle and they fill it with formula for me!

Hope this helps!
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Many times babies don't increase the time between nursing/bottles all that much and you seem like you are feeding them ALL the time.
    Since breastmilk is still the most important food she's taking it's important not to replace that with other solid foods, just in addition to your milk.
    Usually an hour or so after a bottle is a good time to try some solids, she will probably be hungry one day and not the next, that's totally normal. We do the same thing and rarely eat the same exact times everyday!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I should also add that although the times for meals/snacks are scheduled, the bottle times are approximate, but fairly close to what I posted above. And when my LO was first starting rice cereal (the first solid food she tried), she would get rice about 2 times per day at daycare, in addition to her 3 bottles. My LO is now in the "older infant" room (6-12 months), and they serve table food in there (and the kids sit at a little table in little chairs to self-feed, which I love! ). Pureed baby foods are also available for those not on table food yet, or those (like my DD) who are on both.

HTH
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.