Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Water??

Default Water??

I have been reading in other posts about giving your lo water. When do you normally start this and how much do you give? My lo is 5 months and was just curious.

Thanks

Arrow Re: Water??

You can start giving water when your baby had started the solids. Giving it before then only interferes with weight gain b/c foremilk is literally water anyway and babies drinking additional water tend to get gain lower weight than the ones that don't. That's b/c they get are getting fuller quicker on drinking water and it's stopping them drinking more hindmilk then they've liked (the fatty part of your milk). Also, it's better to put the baby on your breast for a drink rather than give water, b/c the BFing itself helps you to produce milk and helps you to keep up when your baby suddenly has growth spurts.

Make any sense?
    Last edited by @llli*petal; June 24th, 2008 at 09:21 AM.

Default Re: Water??

After the 6months is the short answer. For all the reasons the Above poster said. However if you introduce solids early, between 4 and 5months, you still want to hold off on the introduction of water until the 6month point because it can throw their electrolyte balance off. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

I started giving my DS water in a sippy during his solid food feedings, which started shortly before 6 months. Even then, I don't think he got much--it was more for fun. He's 9 months now, and I still don't make a big deal over giving him water--again, I give him water or juice occasionally, and mostly for fun.

The only time I would be concerned about giving him water is if we were outside in the heat for a long time.

With solids, around 6 months, and even then only a few ounces per day. Babies that age still need breastmilk or formula to meet their nutritional needs and will get plenty of water through those liquids.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008