Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bb still nurses hrly at 10 wks! is this normal?

Default bb still nurses hrly at 10 wks! is this normal?

Hi,

My baby is 10 weeks old and still feeds almost hourly during the day! During the night, he would feed every 2-3 hourly. He has been feeding hourly since we returned from the hospital. He would always be very sleepy, suckle on one breast only and refuse the other. I tried all ways but can't wake him to nurse longer. If he does wake, he will cry and push my breast away with his hands! He spends only about 5-10 minutes each time on one breast. I was told that by the second month, baby should be able to go longer between feeds. Is there any way I can get him to nurse longer so he doesn't wake hourly for his feeds?

While he will usually go back to sleep after suckling for just 5-10 minutes, sometimes he will fuss and gets very frustrated as if he wants more but can't get anymore from the breast. He will then cry and scream very loudly but he will not suckle any more! Is this a sign of growth spurt (as it happens sometimes only) or is my milk supply not enough to meet his demand? He weighs around 6kg at 9 weeks, which I believe is a healthy weight. He has 3-4 dirty diapers and 5-6 wet diapers each day.

I am worried that my supply may not be sufficient for him - I always have this fear! Apart from pumping, would expressing by hand work the same in helping to increase milk supply? There's no sucking at the breast but emptying of the breast, will this help?

Thanks!
    bell

Default Re: bb still nurses hrly at 10 wks! is this normal?

Hello and welcome to the forum! And congratulations on your new little one.

With the output in diapers that your little guy has it sounds as if your milk supply is okay. I think the most common fear of new moms is that they aren't making enough milk. Sometimes frequent nursing may be an indication of inefficient milk transfer or low milk supply, but your baby has a good diaper output, and is gaining weight well, so the frequent nursing is most likely not a sign of a problem with your supply. Check out Is your milk supply really low? to find a list of things that do NOT indicate a low supply (as long as you're getting good diaper output and they are gaining weight). The top thing on this list is "Frequent Nursing." It states: "Breastmilk is digested quickly (usually in 1.5-2 hours), so breastfed babies need to eat more often than formula-fed babies. Many babies have a strong need to suck. Also, babies often need continuous contact with mom in order to feel secure. All these things are normal, and you cannot spoil your baby by meeting these needs."

My little girl went through the first 12 weeks or so nursing on the hour. I think it's pretty normal. You are doing the best thing for your baby by feeding him on demand.

Have you read LLL's page on how to tell if your supply is enough? It's really encouraging ... Am I making enough milk?

They also have a page on growth spurts: Why does my baby suddenly want to nurse constantly?

Another great site has a page dedicated to the subject of frequent nursing and Frequent nursing

Since it's possible that frequent nursing could be a sign of an insufficient milk transfer due to improper latch/postitioning, I think the best idea would be to have your local LLL leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) evaluate your situation. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer where they can actually see mom and baby.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free. Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You
    You can find a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultant's here.

You guys sound like you are doing wonderfully, and your baby is very lucky to have a mom who is so concerned with his well being ... and who is working so hard to give him the beautiful gift of breastfeeding!

And a p.s. Yes, hand expressing would also work if you found you did need to try and increase your supply, but not as efficiently as a pump would. And always remember that NOTHING compares to having your baby nurse frequently to build your supply.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thks so much, paint-the-moon, for your reply and all those info! I've read some of those articles before but the others you gave like Frequent Nursing are great info! I feel much 'better' now knowing mine is not the only bb still nursing hourly at his age! Thks so much! I deeply appreciate all the encouragement you gave!

Quote Originally Posted by bell
    Thks so much, paint-the-moon, for your reply and all those info! I've read some of those articles before but the others you gave like Frequent Nursing are great info! I feel much 'better' now knowing mine is not the only bb still nursing hourly at his age! Thks so much! I deeply appreciate all the encouragement you gave!
    I am so happy I could help. I know that sometimes just hearing that we're not alone and getting a little support can go a long way. Feel free to keep posting should you need more support, advice, info ... these boards are wonderful and full of awesome gals ready to help other mamas!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon