Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bf'ing and pneumonia

Unhappy bf'ing and pneumonia

I have pneumonia and the LO has a cold & ear infection. I am still bf'ing, but I have concerns about the meds I am taking. Which are

Amoxicillin 875mg, which as far as I found is safe.
    Erythromycin (erythrocin) 500mg, This one is secreted into the breast milk by half of what I take. Which I'm not comfortable with, they say there is no adverse effects reported but that one worries me.
    Prednisone 10mg, I take this for only 3 days, but I am still not comfortable with it.
    Then I have an inhaler (proair albuterol) 200 puffs. This one says "Unknown if it is excreted into BM. DO NOT bf while taking this." I've taken 2 puffs since yesterday! I called the pharmacist and she said since I have pneumonia he was probably thinking the benefits outweigh the risk.

Anyone have any clue about these medications? or no where I can find out about them?..

Maybe someone has some experience with having pneumonia while bf'ing.
    Sam my little man since 1/9/08

Default Re: bf'ing and pneumonia

BUMP.

Help, Please.

I don't have any experience with pneumon.but my best suggestion at this point would be to call your childs pediatrician and ask them AND talk to your doc and ask which are the most important to take... and go from there.

Good luck - keep us posted

You can also check lactmed to get info from ther as well as DR Hale... you can email him as well as Dr Jack Newman for more info... Have you called a LLL leader?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Call a local LLL leader, they can refrence the Hale book for you! Hope you feel better, nothing worse than being sick in the summer!

I have Dr Hale's Book, and I'll put the info here for you.

Erythromycin

AAP Recommendation: Maternal medication usually compatible with breastfeeding.

There is strong evidence that the use of [this medication] in breastfeeding mothers causes pyloric stenosis in infants. Pyloric stenosis is the abnormal enlargement of the muscles of the pylorus (the opening between the stomach and duodenum). This usually occurs in infants 3-10 weeks of age. See azithromycin as an alternative

Relative infant dose: 1.7%
    Time to clear: 6-10hrs
    L1, L3 early postnatally
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Prednisone:

Only small amounts of most corticosteroids are transferred into breastmilk. Even in larger doses (100mg per day) these two steroids are not contraindicted in breastfeeding mothers. The steroids using in asthmatics (inhaled) are definitely not contraindicted and mothers can safely breastfeed. When using higher doses for longer periods, steroids can potentially cause problems although none have been reported. Brief applications of high dose steroids are probably not contraindicted as the overall exposure is low.

Relative infant dose: 2%
    Time to clear: 4-5 days
    L2
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Albuterol

If a breastfeeding mother uses an albuterol inhaler, small amounts (10%) of albuterol are absorbed into her bloodstream. This amount, if transferred into breastmilk, would be unlikely to produce an effect in the infant. Inhaled albuterol is commonly used for the treatment of pediatric asthma and is, therefore, safe to use in breastfeeding mothers and infants.

Time to clear: 15-19hrs
    L1
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Gentle Reminder: As LLL Leaders, we cannot offer medical advice, only information.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Shannon,

Thank you so much! I trust LLL more than I trust the pharmacist/doc when it comes to bf'ing. Thank you, you have really helped put my mind at ease.

Glad I was able to locate the info you need. Feel better soon!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader