Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hard Stool

Default Hard Stool

My LO will be nine months old tomorrow. She is having two solids a day and still only drinking BM. Her stools are hard. What can I do to help make them softer?

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Default Re: Hard Stool

I'll assume you mean "hard" and not just formed?
    If thats the case cut back on the solids. Then give her something different to see what it does.
    What are you giving her?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yes, they are hard. I can see she struggles to push them out and sometimes needs help, they are stuck. Sorry if TMI.

This is her schedule:

Nurse at night (cosleeps)
    Nurse upon waking
    AT DAY CARE - Two bottles of BM, cereal, homemade baby food (green peas, sw potatoe/peas/potato, chicken "soup" are what I have this week), yogurt and fruit for dessert.
    Nurse on demand when I'm home.
    Sometimes I also give another solid in the evening but I just started this a week now and it isn't consistent.
    She also likes some finger foods (puffs, cheerios) but I don't give this to her all of the time.
    I don't give her water or juice. The DCP wants me to give her other liquids. It is a struggle to get her to understand that I want her on BM more than anything.

She started chicken last week. I made "chicken soup" and the put it in the food processor. No seasoning just chicken breast, carrots, potatoes, celery. Could this be the culprit?

Should I give her other liquids?
    What else can I do?

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Based on what you mentioned above. *I* would pull the cereal/grains and the yogurt for the time being and stick with whole foods (fruits vegis meats etc).

You can offer some water now if you'd like but I'd pull those two thing also to see whats up... more on this here.

and just for an added fyi-
    Dairy allergy/sensitivity signs:

Other signs of a food allergy may include: rash, hives, eczema, sore bottom, dry skin; wheezing or asthma; congestion or cold-like symptoms; red, itchy eyes; ear infections; irritability, fussiness, colic; intestinal upsets, vomiting, constipation and/or diarrhea, or green stools with mucus or blood.
    my emphasis

From this page.
    Last edited by @llli*number3; June 23rd, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Someone beat me to this suggestion on a similar thread this morning, and since they haven't responded here, I'll throw in my 2c

Try the "P" foods- Prunes, pears, peaches, etc. These are supossed to helping with the "P"ooing!

Good luck! I've recently noticed Katy is having some problems so I bought some of the P foods myself this afternoon.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Thanks for your replies. I have been giving her prunes too. I will cut out the cereal for now. Also, I only started yogurt b/c she was on antibiotics and the pediatrician told me to give her some yogurt as well.

My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

One thing that our ped mentioned to us, was that while an ebf baby doesn't need any other liquids other than breastmilk before solids start, that after solids start, some babies need additional liquid, preferably water, in order to aid in digestion.

It would be very easy for you to continue to always offer breastmilk b4 solids until baby was over a year, and still offer a sippy cup with water during meals and whenever solids were offered. I'm guessing, that it would help, and that it won't decrease the amount that your baby is nursing as long as you're doing solids after having breastmilk...maybe within an hour or so?

Also, drinking out of a cup is a good skill for baby to learn as well, and you don't have to use a sippy. My youngest used a regular cup instead.