Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A little worried

Default A little worried

My son is nearly 9 months old and we have fully dived into solids this past week. I am alittle concerned because since about Thursday I have noticed that my son is having trouble making a bowel movement. I have also just taken my son off of breast milk due to my own medical issues so I am no longer able to breast feed. He has his last breast milk bottle on Friday. Anywas I know when he is pooping and lately he is really struggling and grunting, etc when trying to poop. Also his BM isn't hard per say but its not its usual soft baby poo either. Is this because we are feeding more solids? Is his tummy just adjusting to the new food?

I am just pretty worried. I just moved here about a month ago so I am in the process of looking for a pediatrician. He will be going in a few weeks for his 9 month check up anywas.

I am just concerned because he will struggle, grunt, and bear down for several minutes trying to poo and nothing happens. I feel so bad watching him struggle.
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!

Default Re: A little worried

Both formula and Things like baby cereal and banana can be constipating.
    So you have no breastmilk to give him? I would do one thing at a time and only feed him P foods until things start moving again, It's probably a huge shock to his system. Often children who are EBF will experience constipation just from a few tablespoons of cereal a day. To be switched to formula and go "full board" on solids is probably a lot for him.
    Do Pears, Prunes, Peaches, Plums....am I missing any? And skip rice cereal, and bananas altogether until you see thing start moving again. And even these things I have suggested, only do one thing a day so you can see of there is any reaction as you add them to your "Safe" food list. HTH.

Way too lazy for formula

Talking Re: A little worried

Water? Trying water mixed with prune juice out of a tin of prunes as well as prunes. When he's finally passed out his pooh, you need to give him a lot more water to keep things moving and squeaked his diet a bit.

Good luck!

Thanks!

He has been taking 2-3 formula bottles a day since birth so he is kinda use to it but has never had just straight formula 24/7 so I can see how it can affect him.

I will try all your suggestions.
    Amanda

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.

Yea no more boob juice I gave him the last milk I had on friday.

Wanted to add that it was not an easy decision for me and I feel awful having to wean him from breast milk but I had no other choice due to my own medical problems

I never really got to nurse him at the breast but still watching him drink my milk from even a bottle made me feel great and I miss it already.
    Last edited by @llli*femalecheetah86; June 23rd, 2008 at 08:38 AM.
    Amanda

Thumbs up Re: A little worried

Don't worry about it. You can't help it and there's no need to feel guilty about it either.

I am easy either way. Good luck on you. happy mum, happy baby I say.