Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this premature weaning?

Default Is this premature weaning?

I am worried that my 10 month old DD is too into solid food. She is nursing less now, less often and less time each session. We used to nurse every 1- 1 1/2 hours for about 20 minutes or more. When we started solids (totally baby led) at 6 months we started nursing closer to every 2-2 1/2 hours. I wasn't too upset about that because we were still nursing most of the night as well. Now though, we are only nursing six to eight times per 24 hours. She goes at least 8 hours at night, and sometimes as long as 4 hours during the day. Our nursing sessions can last as little as 5 minutes sometimes. If she can see food while we are nursing she will pull off the breast to beg for it. She asks for solid food before she will ask to nurse, but I still try my best to nurse before she eats, and offer nursing throughout the day because she will go 3-4 hours without asking to nurse.

I am afraid that I am prematurely and accidentally weaning her, especially since I have started taking a class from 6-9 on Monday and Wednesday nights and instead of pumping and bottlefeeding she just has some of her Daddy's dinner. Now she doesn't nurse at all from 6-9 pm even when I am home and we used to nurse constantly from about 5 until bedtime.

Maybe this is totally normal and I am paranoid, but I see everyone talking about how their toddler's main source of nutrition is still breastmilk, but I feel like at this rate by the time she turns 1 we will only be nursing for the emotional reasons and she will be turning to food when she is hungry.

Typing this all out I do feel a little silly. Maybe I am just feeling guilty about leaving her, and I am definitely not ready for her to nurse less. We worked so hard to get started nursing and I am not ready to not be the center of her world. I am not ready for her to be growing up so fast.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Default Re: Is this premature weaning?

It's ok, it sounds like she's doing great really. 6-8 times per day is still really good! Letting her lead the way, and she's lead you into nursing less can make us feel sad for sure.
    It's totally normal for her to cut back a little on her nursing, she may surprise you and go back to nursing a lot, or she may just continue on this track. Keep offering! Your doing a great job!

This always brings a tear to my eye, I hope it doesn't make you sob! I thought of this poem when I read your post.

Wean Me Gently

by Cathy Cardall

I know I look so big to you,

Maybe I seem too big for the needs I have.

But no matter how big we get,

We still have needs that are important to us.

I know that our relationship is growing and changing,

But I still need you. I need your warmth and

closeness,

Especially at the end of the day

When we snuggle up in bed.

Please don't get too busy for us to nurse.

I know you think I can be patient,

Or find something to take the place of a nursing;

A book, a glass of something,

But nothing can take your place when I need you.

Sometimes just cuddling with you,

Having you near me is enough.

I guess I am growing and becoming independent,

But please be there.

This bond we have is so strong and so important to me,

Please don't break it abruptly.

Wean me gently,

Because I am your mother,

And my heart is tender.

AHHHHHH! I'm bawling my eyes out now. I love the poem. I think I am going to print it out. I'm glad to know I am not the only one who struggles with this.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Ok. . . made ME sob!

I just wanted to post that I love the idea of babies leading the way on weaning, except that I'm also not all that excited about my baby weaning. I think it's pretty normal to feel hesitant about it (from our mommy perspective). I agree with pp that things can pick up again. And keep offering. My guy (although younger) is still often too busy to nurse unless that boob is in sight.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!