Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: oversupply and pumping

Default oversupply and pumping

Hi everyone. I've been having a problem with oversupply and forceful let down (more on one side than the other). My daughter (5 weeks) and I seem to be getting through it and the oversupply seems to be getting better. However, everyone else with an oversupply says that they are very full and uncomfortable in the mornings while I find myself becoming uncomfortable in the late afternoons and throughout the night. I think that my oversupply may have been caused by pumping. When I began pumping (for an occasional bottle that my husband could feed her) I did so in the morning after a feeding - usually the side she did not nurse on or nurse on for long. Then my husband began giving her a bottle at night before bed and I pumped both sides then. The right gave a lot of milk (sometimes close to 5 ounces) while the left was around 2 ounces. After almost a week of doing this I realized that I had an oversupply and that my daughter was having difficuly with the forceful let down. I stopped pumping completely and have been feeding from one breast only at a feeding to get the supply under control. After 5 days of doing this it seems to be getting under control. I would like to go back to pumping to give occasional bottles (I'm not going to do the same time every day thing again), but I'm scared that pumping may cause problems again. Does anyone have any advice as to when I should pump and how much? I was thinking of going back to pumping in the morning after a feeding from the breast she didn't nurse on (though I would prefer to pump the left as it wasn't as big a problem as the right). Also is it okay not to pump when I miss a feeding (when she gets a bottle?).

Thanks!

Default Re: oversupply and pumping

would you find it convenient to pump at the same time DH is going to give the bottle? that way you are not really missing a feeding, just changing the way it is being given. whenever i pump, i only pump one side and only for a few minutes or it makes me up my supply. i don't know if others find this to be the same for them.

[ j ]

Default Re: oversupply and pumping

I was doing that before, but I was pumping both sides and pretty much emptying both breasts. I think I'll try just pumping the side that is missing the feeding while DH gives her a bottle.

Thanks!