Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Crying and Fustrated

Default Crying and Fustrated

Hi-

My son is 3 weeks old and for the first 2 1/2 weeks was nursing beautifully. However, within the past few days we have started having some problems. He constantly pops off during feedings and becomes fustrated and crys. I can get him back on but only for a few seconds. We give him a bottle a day of expressed milk - but that has been since he was 1 week, so I don't think its nipple confusion. Also, its not at every feeding, some feedings he stays latched on the whole time and doesn't cry at all.

I seem to be producing a lot of milk and my midwife thought that an oversupply might be the problem. He has choked while I've been feeding him and a few times, when he pulled off, the milk was still spraying out.

The problem seems to be getting worse instead of better. Does this sound like an oversupply problem or the dreaded nipple confusion due to the bottle?

Thanks for any advice

Default Re: Crying and Fustrated

could be a few different things. oversupply or overactive letdown could be your problem. my letdown is like a firehose for my dd & she was gagging/choking trying to keep up w/ it. i started to take her off when i felt the milk let down & let it spray into a diaper or a towel then returned her when it had slowed down. that helped a lot. as for the pulling off and crying-mine still does that even at 10 weeks. usually just in the evening hours when she is fussy anyway, but sometimes it will be all day every day for two or three days. her ped finally dx'd reflux and rx'd zantac. she had other symptoms though, like frequent hiccups and throwing up and arching her back during nursing. this might help you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

good luck and hang in there- it gets easier

Hi there,
    So sorry you are struggling with this. Could you tell us more about how it is getting worse instead of better?

Hi-

He is popping off more and getting much more upset. He used to just fuss a little bit, but i could calm him down and get him back on. Now he is getting very upset, crying and looking very fustrated. He is such a good baby, he never cries except when I'm trying to feed him.

I tried to feed him while lying down but that didn't make any difference.

Also, he is OK for the first 2-3 minute of nursing, then he pops off and starts up.

you could call your local leader and ask for help!
    heres a link to look up leaders and groups.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

I would agree with Andrea-speaking with someone in person would be extremely helpful.

If ds really is dealing with OALD then there are many things you can do to help him handle it. But this would be easier to discuss in person, if possible. Please let us know if you can't find someone.

SBM - I feel your pain!!! My son is 9 weeks old and we have been battling this EXACT issue for several weeks. He does exactly what you are describing - he is good for a couple minutes then it becomes a scream fest for the remainder of the feeding. I try changing breasts, positions (which he never likes), and I frequently burp him (he is very "burpy" - but I believe that is from all the air he takes in while he is crying).

I know I have a enough milk and a good let down because when he pulls off he has milk around his mouth and often I can feel it dripping down my breast. I never have experienced let down that involves spraying - so I don't think that is the issue. I am just puzzled!

Let me know if you have learned anything since you last posted.
    Thanks!http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...lies/smile.gif

Oh, SBM, I totally feel your pain! I have the exact same issues with my 3 wk old. He pops off and on the breast for several minutes at the begining of a feeding and crys like crazy when the milk lets down. (Mine sprays all over the place so when he pulls off it squirts him in the face which just makes him cry harder!) I've been trying to remove him before the "fountain" turns on and it does help as long as I get him off in time. (And as long as I remember to have a towel with me - it can get kind of messy otherwise.) I also read that feeding only on one side per feeding could help oversupply issues and it does seem to be working. I've also noticed that his problem is at its worst when he is wide awake and very alert. If I feed him while he is very drowsy or mostly asleep (this happens often since I still have to wake him up to feed several times a day) then he eats with little or no problem. I'll probably be calling an LLL leader tomorrow if things don't start to improve.
    Good luck, SBM! I'll be interested to hear if you come up with any solutions!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Hi Everyone-

Thanks for your responses!

I went to a lactation consultant who thought the problem could be twofold: 1; the milk is coming out very fast for him with both fustrates him and causes him to gulp and take in air, and 2: that he is very gassy to begin with, so that coupled with the gulping is making him even more gaseous. She suggested giving him Cocyntal which is a homeopathic medicine to help with gas, as well as nurse him lying down to slow down the flow. At first it seemed to do the trick, but now we are back to screaming and crying. I try to burp him and push his legs into his stomach and usually he burps or passes gas - but I wish there was something I could do before it gets to that point. Once he's screaming and crying, its difficult to finish feeding him.

In addition, since yesterday, he has started only wanted to nurse for 5 minutes tops before he falls asleep. Is that OK?

I also find he gets even more upset when I try to switch sides. And like you, if I nurse him when he is calm, it doesn't seem to happen.

Mostly I've heard that it is a phase and he will grow out of it but if it continues, I think I will call the pediatrician.

Please let me know if any of you find a solution and I will do the same!

This sounds exactly how my litte one used to be! I can't give you any answers - after months of searching I never managed to work out what was wrong - the only thing that seemed to fit was oversupply.

All I know is that my little girl continued to put on weight despite only feeding for a max of 5 mins and screaming blue murder every time. Things did eventually get better - although it did take a few months I'm afraid - but she's now just turned 1 and now nurses happily.

Hang on in there - it will come good and it's so worth it. Your little one just needs to grow in to your supply, which will also settle down in time too. It just takes a bit longer than the usually 6 weeks or so when you have oversupply.

Good luck!