Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baffling Nursing Strike at 3 months

Default Re: Baffling Nursing Strike at 3 months

check out the info on this LLLI site
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    it describes why oversupply occurs and its effects on the lo
    I actually laid flat on my back on the couch while he nursed....You know how the first few sucks initiate the letdoen and then they begin to suck rapidly right after...well I would lay flat for that and then slowly sit up right through the feeding, before if I sat upright he would pull off during let down and it would actually spray him in the face sometimes, the milk was projecting so quick he couldnt handle it, when I laid flat the force wasnt so powerful. After a week of block nursing my forceful let down went away and I think it was because my over supply decreased to his demands.....
    If the web link doesnty work just go to the la leche home page and type in over supply...
    Hope it helps....
    for five months now mommy of two, married to the love of my life.

Thank you for the link and the info. on feeding while lying on your back. I will certainly have to give that a try!

Miraculously she's been eating like a champ these last 48 hours. I really don't know why or when it'll revert back, but now I've got an arsenal of things to try!

xoxo
    Amy Lynne

Proud momma to Tatum June, born April 4, 2008

Blessed wife of Zach, married July 16, 2005

OK, so we're back to screaming instead of nursing. I managed to get her to BF each time today, but it was a struggle. She's like a light switch, some days she's on and some definitely not. What gives? I feel like I've tried everything. Nursing strikes don't come and go, do they?
    Amy Lynne

Proud momma to Tatum June, born April 4, 2008

Blessed wife of Zach, married July 16, 2005

Amy,
    Today was a really really rough day for us too. Actually the last three days have been terrible, but today it seemed to really take a toll on us both emotionally. I decide to go into my ob d/t a possible UTI. It turns out I have a yeast infection. Lo would not nurse all morning and we were both in tears so I ended up calling my LLL. Without even knowing I had been to see my OB she mentioned that the screaming and pulling off sounded like Thrush. I told her I had just been diagnosed with a yeast infection. However, I had not symptoms of thrush on my breasts and DD had no symptoms from what I could see. My LLL said that Thrush can still be present without any visual symptoms and that it usually hurts the baby to suck. And that is exactly what it seems like when she sucks once or twice and pull of crying, only to frantically want to latch back on b/c she is so hungry. We called the pedi as soon as we got home and then made another trip back out to see them. We are both being treated now and I just pray things make a turn for the better!!!

Just wondering, when you LO is not nursing well during the day do you pump to keep your supply up?? I have OS so I don't want to pump too much, but I am aways nervous about my milk supply for some reason. Also she is so hit and miss...if I can get her really sleepy she will nurse, so I want to have enough for her when she is ready b/c she refuses the bottle.
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09