Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baffling Nursing Strike at 3 months

Unhappy Baffling Nursing Strike at 3 months

I've made it through unbearable pain, clogged ducts, and mastitis. Just when the going is good my daughter ups and screams when I attempt to nurse. We're going on 2 solid weeks of inconsistent behavior including refusing the breast all together, blood curdling screams, nursing successfully for a whole day (yea!), nursing well on and off for a day, nursing for 2 minutes then switching sides for another measly 2 or 3 minutes, and latching on and off so many times it makes me dizzy.

I'm stubborn and am determined to breastfeed as long as possible, but I'm beginning to get discouraged and worn down. We've resorted to pumping and bottle feeding all day and giving formula once before bed to help with my milk storage. I'm afraid we'll be going to 2 formula bottles pretty soon as I can't keep up with her demand. I just can't pump as much as I need to for each of her feedings. She's eating about 5 oz. per feeding and I'm lucky if I can get 4 oz when I pump.

I've tried skin to skin, calming atmospheres, varying positions, and lots of snuggling.

Any suggestions or advice? I need to get through one day without crying to feel sane again!

Default Re: Baffling Nursing Strike at 3 months

I feel like I have been going through the same exact thing with my DD for the last 3 weeks. She also just turned 3 mos. Do you seem to have an OALD? Does your milk spray when you let down? I do and it may be the cause of my LO's behavior, but I noticed that she is even fussy before and after the let down. I am on week 2 of a non dairy diet. I am not sure if it is working yet. I have seen some improvement. I am debating giving up soy too for a while. If you think this may be the cause look at the allergy forum. It was very helpful to me.

Anyway I totally understand your frustration and tears. Please don't give up!!! You can do this. Your LO will get better. What really seemed to work best during the last few weeks was to nurse when my LO was almost asleep or already sleeping. I would just pick her up and nurse. She nurse great at this time! HTH.
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Hi Kelly,

Thank you very much for your encouraging words! It's so comforting to know I'm not the only one going through this. I sure felt like I was. I'm one of the only BFing mommies I know around here, so good advice is hard to come by.

I do spray when I let down... maybe the difference between the flow then and a few minutes later is just too frustrating for her. Since I posted I read about feeding for the first few minutes with a bottle and then nurse for the remainder of the feeding. Hopefully then she'll be content with the quick flow of the bottle's nipple and then more accepting of the breast as it will flow quickly at first as well.

I'll DEFINITELY give BFing her while she's sleepy or asleep a try. I'll do ANYTHING to get this train back on track. Thanks so much for the tip!

Did you have to resort to bottle feeding and/or formula at all? I feel so guilty!
    Amy Lynne

Proud momma to Tatum June, born April 4, 2008

Blessed wife of Zach, married July 16, 2005

Don't feel bad about giving the bottle or formula. No, I did not have to give the bottle b/c nursing while she was sleeping really worked well for us. Plus she totally refuses the bottle for my mom and dh So I really didn't have any other options, I just held, rocked and bounced until she was sleeping. I also have oversupply so I produced enough so that I didn't have to give formula either...but I also only get about 2 or 3 oz from each side if I pump. But when she nurses I know she can empty a lot more than that, so definitely try to nurse as much as possible to keep your supply up.

If you think you may have over active let down check out the too much milk forum. It was and still is extremely helpful. OALD can be really hard to deal with, but there are ways to make it better. What works best for us is to take her off and spray into a cloth diaper or burb cloth. Sometimes she stays on and just gulps it down I have heard it gets better as they get bigger b/c they can tollerate it more. I was puzzled that she strated to refuse to nurse after 3 mos of dealing with my OALD too. But it will get better, it has already started to for us.

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Maybe she likes the LD and is frustrated when it ends? I was feeding on only one side each time and have recently switched to both trying to get her more of the "fast milk" to satiate her. This sometimes seems to work, but not consistently. She'll continue to pull of and scream. I just can't fathom that she's full and done feeding after less than 5 or 6 minutes! She would feed for an average of 20 minutes before this all began a few weeks ago. It's hard to believe she'd become that much more efficient that quickly, you know? Sorry for the rambling... just trying to think through the cause for all of this
    Amy Lynne

hmm...it really sounds like we are talking about the same baby. However, my LO rarely nurses for longer than 5 to 10 min at a time (I think) b/c she fills up so fast. Have you noticed a change in your milk flow? My LD seemed to become even more active around 2 mos. Have you been successful at feeding her when she's sleepy? Was she content and feeding quietly with the bottle when you fed her pumped BM? Have you ate anything differently in the past few weeks? I haden't either, but still decided to go dairy free for a few weeks just to see if it helped at all. I am still not sure if it has. Another poster had told me that sometimes they are fussy if we smell different. I know it can make you so sad to see them like this and that you want to do everything and anything in your power to help them. Hopefully you will get more advice from other moms in the next few days. I am going to check back since I am still trying to figure out this situation for myself.

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

I also had over supply and forceful let down, it peaked at 6 weeks and then again at 3 months while he was in his growth spurt. block feeding was the answer for me and I also fed while he was asleep...Hes five months now and we dont deal with those things anymore...hang in there I spent many days crying a long with my lo it gets better.....I wish I knew about this forum when I was dealing with it......I received great info from a lactation consult who taught me about hind milk and fore milk and with Over supply too much fore milk can make them very fussy and seem colicky, I tamed my let down by laying flat on my back until I let down and gradually sat up this worked and my lo stopped pulling off during let down......
    Birth 7 lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks- 8 lbs 10 oz
    I month 10 lbs 14 oz
    2 months 12 lbs 15 oz
    4 months 15 lbs 1 oz
    5 months ????
    and getting chunkier by the day.......
    happily for five moths now, was at times but we always made it through in the end

Okay, so I thought I was really the only one who was going thru the same thing....I am so glad that I am not. My son is two months today and he has been doing the same thing for the past couple of weeks. We were doing great, it was a breeze then one day he decides to fight. On off On Off, scream, kick, cry, then latch on again. I have noticed for the most part laying down seems to work for us, though, it would be good one day and not the other, but nursing while LO is sleepy is good I have noticed. I hope he outgrows this , I cry too, becuase I think how in the world did you get enough in 5 minutes. It is really stressful and have considered stopping because of it, but, we do one day at a time. Hope things are better. and try laying down.

During that time my lo fed only 5 minute pops for over 2 months and continued to gain great...My lactation consult explained that if you have over supply he is getting a lot very quickly.....Don't measure time as much as output.....Isnt this forum great....

So today is a perfect example of the baffling part of all of this. Starting at her 3am feed and through her last around 3pm, she's been SO MUCH BETTER. I haven't done much differently then try to stay calm (and not be tense in anticipation of the screams) and feed her sooner, like before I change the diaper. Maybe what I did worked or maybe today is just an "on" day as opposed to the last few "off" days.

This forum is WONDERFUL. Just knowing I'm not alone has helped a ton. I will be laying down to feed for sure the next go 'round and before she's starving. What exactly did you mean tim.josh by laying on your back for LD? While feeding or before you had your LO latch? Also, can you share some of the fore vs. hind milk info.??

I'm planning to attend my first LLL meeting this Thursday for some more input and information. I'll be sure to share what I learn!

Thank you, thank you to all of you for your advice and support! HUGS!
    Amy Lynne