Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old?

Default 4 month old?

So I went to my ped for the four month check up and she said it was up to me to start rice cereal and some veggies. I really don't want to, but I don't really know when you are supposed to start. Is there a certain time that you start solids? I have absolutely no idea.
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

We LOVE and loving and and we are getting used to cloth diapering!

Default Re: 4 month old?

It's recommended that you breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 months and then introduce solids. These links from Kellymom.com should help

When will my baby be ready for solids

Why delay solids?

Vitamins and iron

How do we start soilds
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

We started at 4 mo. b/c DD was clearly ready. She watched us everytime we ate. She would grab for food and didn't have her tounge thrust reflex anymore. It worked for us.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

We started at 5 and a half months old since he was ready for them. Though don't force it if the baby doesn't want to eat. And it's recommended to start at 6 months.

We waited until after 6 mos. for both and skipped rice cereal which is empty calories. This was a big factor:

Delaying solids gives baby's digestive system time to mature.
    If solids are started before a baby's system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.). Protein digestion is incomplete in infancy. Gastric acid and pepsin are secreted at birth and increase toward adult values over the following 3 to 4 months. The pancreatic enzyme amylase does not reach adequate levels for digestion of starches until around 6 months, and carbohydrate enzymes such as maltase, isomaltase, and sucrase do not reach adult levels until around 7 months. Young infants also have low levels of lipase and bile salts, so fat digestion does not reach adult levels until 6-9 months.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alyssa.mommy View Post
    We started at 4 mo. b/c DD was clearly ready. She watched us everytime we ate. She would grab for food and didn't have her tounge thrust reflex anymore. It worked for us.
    See that's what my LO is doing. Except for what is tongue thrust?
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

We LOVE and loving and and we are getting used to cloth diapering!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bryces.mama View Post
    See that's what my LO is doing. Except for what is tongue thrust?
    that's when they push the food back out with their tongue
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

LLL says there are 3 signs that your baby is ready for solids

Middle of the first year, around 6 months
    sitting unassisted and not falling over for several minutes
    showing interest in your food, ( keep in mind they will show intrest in anything you have, a beer, your keys etc..)

There are a lot of dangers to starting solids too early;
    increased risk of allergies
    choking
    diabetes

The AAP recamends exclusive bfing for atleast 6 months, no solids, water, juice or cereal.

Keep this in mind, too. Not all babies are even ready at 6 months. My son is 7+months and is just now really starting solids. He is pretty hesitant about things in his mouth. He loves to watch us eat, but he still wasn't ready at 6 months. Remember that part of readiness is physiologic--an infant's gut lining needs TIME to mature. Yes, you would think that a ped would know this. But some of them have some weird ideas when it comes to feeding. Others have old, uninformed ideas. If it doesn't seem right, check it out from many sources.

And remember that babies take time to grow and mature. Don't push it. It goes by too fast as it is!
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolamomma View Post
    We waited until after 6 mos. for both and skipped rice cereal which is empty calories. This was a big factor:
    Hey Nola, that's an awesome quote. I think it would really get others off my back when I wait until 6 mos. to start solids with my babes. Do you mind sharing the link?