Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping very little milk

Default Pumping very little milk

So I hate pumping, but I have to build up my supply. For 2 days, I've pumped like 1/4 of an ounce from BOTH breasts. I'm a bit discouraged and I wonder when I'll see an increase in milk. Baby still does not want the breast. It hasn't been that long, but I have a feeling that this might not be a sucessful transition to bf. Advice???

In the meantime, I'll be drinking lots of water, taking my More Milk Plus & pumping.

P.S. Pumping hurts

Default Re: Pumping very little milk

Girl are you from MA? I'm a MA girl!

Anyway, pumping will not yield the same amount as the baby on the breast so you shouldn't expect much at first..and it shouldn't hurt!

Oatmeal works wonders for me and relaxing, i know you're going through a tough time but relaxing may help a lot..btw i'm horrible at pumping..i bf exclusively and if i pump i get an ounce if i'm lucky so don't worry about that too much..do what you can and hang in there!

No!!! I'm cali girl, but both my husband and I wish we could join the sox up in Boston. So...oatmeal works, uh? What is it about the oatmeal that does it? Any tips for getting the little guy on the breast? Because when I offer it to him, he cries & stiffens up aggressively. Yeah, he kinda likes the bottle (who could blame him?).

And off the subject, do you like the sox?

Well i'm originally from NY and loved the Yankees but after that horrible loss i gave up on them..lol..and plus if you live in MA and don't love the sox then you are in trouble..LOL

I don't know what it is with oatmeal..i mean i can eat an oatmeal cookie and i'm busting at the seams! I swear by it really but there is nothing like putting the baby on the breast..have you heard about an SNS? it's a device that you can put on and it helps babies latch on better..you can ask a lactation consultant about it, it might help

Well, I guess Johnny Demon...I mean Damon will have to adjust to the NY lifestyle. I'm sure he'll have no problem.

I see a LC on Tuesday. Hopefully, she'll have some insight. I feel bad for making my son so angry when I offer him the breast. As soon as he starts to look mad, I stop b/c I don't want him to associate my breast as a bad thing. And I just got done pumping...it's so little milk that maybe it's not going to get any better. don't know!!!

redsox,

Increasing milk production takes *time*. The fact that you're getting anything more than drops so early into relactation is FANTASTIC. Most mothers can expect it to take as long to increase production to the level baby needs as it has been that you have not nursed. So, if you've not been nursing for a month (for example), then expect it to take a month to see full results. You should continue with supplements (your milk or formula) until your supply meets baby's needs. Would you like more information on relactation?

Here are some resources re: getting baby back to the breast:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov99p99.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html (NOT a LLL resource)

Pumping shouldn't be painful. What type of pump are you using? Which suction level are you using? Do the breastshields fit properly?
    This is a link that explains breastshield fit (NOT a LLL resource):
    http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/faq/b...hield_fit.html

P.S. It's great to hear that you're going to *see* an IBCLC. Please do update us after the visit!

You know, I think it's painful b/c I have flat nipples. And when I pump, these suckers are pulled out. So, I'm thinking it's b/c of the pulled out motion for 10minutes that's making it so painful & tender afterwards. Does that sound about right???

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxmom
    You know, I think it's painful b/c I have flat nipples. And when I pump, these suckers are pulled out. So, I'm thinking it's b/c of the pulled out motion for 10minutes that's making it so painful & tender afterwards. Does that sound about right???
    OUCH!
    When you nurse - even with flat nipples - it should feel comfortable.
    Pain is a sign that something is wrong.
    I understand that you are going to see an IBCLC?
    PLEASE ask her to watch you nurse. The most common reason for pain during nursing is an incorrect latch, and that is also the easiest thing to correct.
    She should also check your baby's mouth. Sometimes a poor latch can be caused by a tongue tie or an unusually shaped palate. Of course this is why it is SO important to see somebody in person, because we just can't see you over the 'puter

Please let us know what the IBCLC says.

LLLnormaR