Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I get him to cut back?

Default How can I get him to cut back?

DS is 34mo, and if he had his way he'd nurse all.day.long. My mom (nursed me until I was 2.5yo) tells me to keep busy and he'll be too preoccupied to want to nurse... nope not my kiddo. He'll stop what he's doing and ask for his "mommy milk" any time of day no matter what else is going on. I also have a 9mo who rarely goes more than 30 min during the day without nursing, and DS1 wants to nurse every time his brother does. Needless to say I have been feeling really touched out lately. I've been dealing with severe PPD, and this is definitely not helping any.

So after repeatedly trying to set limits, often resulting in all-out tantrums, I bit the bullet the other day and told him he could nurse 4x per day now - basically bedtime, naptime, and wake-up from both. Plus he can nurse at night. Gosh, it sounds so harsh. I used to be the biggest believer in CLW, and I know DS still needs to nurse, but I had just reached a breaking point and didn't know what else to do.

Today was day 3, and he's been incredibly clingy, throwing random tantrums all day long, I can't leave the room without him screaming for me, Daddy can't leave the room without DS screaming for him, and he hasn't eaten more than a few bites of solid food in 2 days. The stress level in the house today was astronomical. I realize I've made a huge mistake, and I'm going to let him go back to his regular more-or-less on-demand nursing tomorrow.

But now I'm sorta back to square one... how do I get my very strong-willed, spirited, high-needs toddler to cut back on nursing without traumatizing anyone??

Default Re: How can I get him to cut back?

Well we're back to mostly on-demand nursing today, and DS has been a much happier kid. He's even accepting a few limits - ie: "just 5 seconds now, then a long time after I get a snack" and "wait until your brother is finished then it's your turn."

I guess we'll see how this goes... I have high hopes for the next few days. My 9yo niece is going to be my "mother's helper" all week and she is fantastic at keeping the kids busy for hours. I might actually get some cleaning done!

This is a hard one

I understand how you feel & I would probably be right there with you!

You know it won't last forever - so do what you gotta do so that you have no regrets

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

mama. Are there smaller limits that you could start with that he would respond to? Like putting it off if you are somewhere it would be difficult to nurse or nurse till I count to 30 - something like that?
    Give a LLL Leader a call, she might be able to hook you up with someone who understands or she might understand herself. Even if you don't have one close to you, you can still call and talk. A lot of times someone to just listen does amazing things.