Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it possible?

Default is it possible?

My daughter is almost 3 months old, and I nursed her from day one, until I went back to work at 6 weeks. The job I had wasn't one where I could take breaks to pump throughout the day, and by the time I got home, I was exhausted and it was easier to just give her a bottle. I regret supplementing her now, and wish i had done strictly breastfeeding and not gone back to work. I have quit work now, because my kids are more important to me than money. I am hoping to relactate now that I am back at home, and my husband is fully supportive of this. I just don't even know where to begin. I need help...any suggestions???

Default Re: is it possible?

i've not personal experience to share, but if i recall correctly some of the old threads mentioned the following:

putting lo to breast as often, and as long as possible
    set up a pumping schedule and pump at the same times every day
    alot of them also took meds to help
    also as much skin to skin contact as possible (baths together are awesome)

how often were you pumping/nursing before you stopped
    do you own a pump? if so what brand/model?
    when was the last time you pumped/nursed?

hth
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I was nursing about every 4 hours. I didn't want her on a strict schedule, I just wanted to be able to feed her when she was hungry, so that's what I did. I have a Medela manual pump that the lady at WIC gave me, but I can't get anything out with it, wasn't able to even when I was nursing. After I had my son, I was given a hospital grade electric pump, and it was amazing, but I gave it to a lady in my church about 3 years ago before I moved accross the country. The last time I nursed her, she was about 7.5 weeks old, and she'll be 13 weeks on Monday, so it's been 5.5 weeks since I nursed her...

How would I take a bath with a squirmy 3 month old? Sounds like it would be fun...LOL Whatever help, helps. I just want my special time with my baby back!!!
    wife of Robert since 1-18-2007

mommy to Jacob (7-2-2004)

mommy to Kayla (3-24-2008)

Happy with my life as a mommy and US Air Force wife!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy.of.2 View Post
    How would I take a bath with a squirmy 3 month old? Sounds like it would be fun...LOL Whatever help, helps. I just want my special time with my baby back!!!
    i've been taking baths with my son sice he was 4 or 5 weeks and i first had supply issues.... i get my husband to bring him to me after i'm already in a warm, not hot, tub...i call him back after about 15-20 minutes to get him out...dry him etc...

lets see now, when he was about 3 months i think i would fill the tub about halfway and lay him on my legs so he could kick and laugh for a while...

Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

that sounds great! i think i'll try it with her tomorrow! i should have done that with my son. that sounds like great bonding time!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy.of.2 View Post
    that sounds great! i think i'll try it with her tomorrow! i should have done that with my son. that sounds like great bonding time!
    it's my favorite part of every day, i can do it without help from dh now.

also spend time with your top off just holding your lo whenever possible, encorage her to nuzzle, root and latch... even if you don't have milk already this will encorage it, just like when she was born...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

ok...thanks so much!!! i hope when others see this, they will add other suggestions. i'm looking frwad to bathtime tomorrow now!

where oh where are our moms who can help to relactate?? Come on ladies i know you're out there....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I can't really help you... but I am going through the exact same thing. I am going to try and relactate also. Hopefully it goes well for you! I would definitely reccomend getting a higher grade pump. Maybe you could rent one? And I love taking baths with Mia. I have gotten her now so she will nuzzle into my breasts, even though she is not at all interested at latching, it is progress!

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

YES it IS possible.

I don't have a lot of personal experience with getting your supply back, but I do know about getting a baby with bottle preference back to the breast. We pumped and bottle fed from week 2 to her 3 month birthday.

I do know that you will want a hospital grade pump or AT LEAST a double electric pump. A manual pump is not enough to keep up a full milk supply while working and it is definitely not going to give your breasts enough stimulation to relactate. Stimulating your breasts is what tells your body to lactate and without that you won't have success.

You may want to look into herbs and medications such as fenagreek, domperidone, fennel, et cetera (sorry my spelling isn't great tonight)

Eat lots of oatmeal, it helps boost your milk. Lots of oatmeal for breakfast, oatmeal cookies for snacks.

You may want to try a supplemental nursing system. It can help get your little one interested in the breast again, it will help get your milk back quicker then a pump to have the baby nursing.

LOTS of skin to skin time. This is what made the difference for us. Being skin to skin with your baby stimulates the mommy hormones in you, and it stimulates the reflexes in your baby. I spent 3 months basically topless all the time. It was winter so we turned up the heat, my DD spent a lot of time in a moby wrap, or we wrapped blankets around the two of us and just cuddled.

Baths are another good idea, one of the first times my DD latched on was in the tub.

I believe you mentioned you were nursing her every 4 hours. From everything I have read, breastfed babies need to eat at least every 2-3 hours. I know mine ate every 1-1 1/2 hours until recently. That is something to keep in mind when you start pumping, because you will want to mimic the baby's schedule as much as possible.

Milk production is highest in the early morning because that is when prolactin levels are highest. You may get the most milk out put if you pump a couple times at night/early morning. It sucks, but it helps.

Try latching on in different positions, different locations, et cetera. Make a game out of it. One of the earliest times she latched I was topless and dancing around the room with my DD in my arms. She started acting a little hungry, I tried to latch her and to my shock and surprise she actually sucked a few times.

You might think about a nipple shield, if your baby is used to associating a plastic bottle nipple with food. I would talk with a lactation consultant if you go that route, for me, the nipple shield caused a dramatic loss in my supply, but I know plenty of people who never have that problem.

When you are bottle feeding, try to encourage nursing behaviors in your LO. Make her open her mouth wide, tickle her upper lip with the nipple, open your shirt and feed her in the same position you would nurse in. I stuck the bottle in my armpit and held it that way. Hands free for me, and the right position for her.

You can try making her associate food with exclusively you, so you do all the feedings, Mommy=food, instead of bottle=food.

Take a nursing vacation. Spend a couple of care-free days just enjoying your baby in bed. Topless of course! My DD and I had standing weekend dates.

Use the slowest flowing bottle you can find. That way when you do get back to the breast your LO won't be so frustrated with the fact that it takes a while to get the milk to let down.

Okay, I know there are more ideas out there, but I can't think of them right now. Don't stress, do what you can. I would say the BEST starting points are probably get a hospital grade pump and start pumping every two hours, and lots of skin to skin time.

Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth