Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pumping for Prem baby

Default Re: Pumping for Prem baby

Quote Originally Posted by mandybhari
    Hi there, Logan has an NG tube which he is forever pulling out. I feel less worried having discussed the bottle thing with you all. I've heard that you can get teats which mimic the breast. Any suggestions? Logna does seem to breastfeed fine but gets a bit tired and goes to sleep and then he has to get his milk through the NG tube.

I saw a bottle in a magazine that looks just like the breast, the magazine is called One Step Ahead, I am kicking myself right now because I told my hubby to throw it away this weekend and the trash came today....the website is onestepahead.com and if you go to the feeding part, on page 2 it shows the Breastbottle Nurser. I thought it looked pretty good as a mimic of the real thing, I have never tried it, DD won't touch anything other than my breast. That's good he has the NG tube, it's not as abrasive as the G-Tube, my DD has a G-Tube right now and it's such a pain, it has to be cleaned 2 times a day, she pulls at it all the time, if she pulls it out, it's a trip back to the hossy to have another one put in, which takes sedation....the falling asleep thing is normal, try to stimulate him a little by rubbing the back of his head softly, like playing with his hair (if he has any) to keep him awake to keep on nursing. Hope this helps.

Hi:

I responded to your other post earlier. About the nipples, we used the disposable Nuk nipples that the hospital sent us home with until they ran out. Then we used Avent bottles and the Avent newborn slow-flow nipples until he was weaned from the bottle (about 3 weeks).

About adding formula to your breastmilk in the NICU - they never did that, but what they did do was fortify my breastmilk to increase its caloric content and help him gain weight. They fortified it by adding a powder to it.

It was SO hard to pump enough to keep up with the demand! My husband and I would make runs to the hospital once or twice a day to deliver my EBM, and lots of times we would get there just in time to avoid a formula feeding! Keep up the good work - it's so worth it!!!!

Ugh - spitup - gotta run....

Hi I just need to ask some advice about Domperidone again. I have been told that my boy could be sent home within the next couple of weeks if he's feeding well. My problem, as you know, is that my milk supply is not that great despite doing everything I'm supposed to. The doc did prescribe me Domperidone but I never went to get it because of possible effects on the baby. I MUST increase milk production so do you think I should go with Domperidone? Also because my baby is prem I don't want to do him any harm by taking this. I'm really in a dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by mandybhari
    Hi I just need to ask some advice about Domperidone again. I have been told that my boy could be sent home within the next couple of weeks if he's feeding well. My problem, as you know, is that my milk supply is not that great despite doing everything I'm supposed to. The doc did prescribe me Domperidone but I never went to get it because of possible effects on the baby. I MUST increase milk production so do you think I should go with Domperidone? Also because my baby is prem I don't want to do him any harm by taking this. I'm really in a dilemma.

Are you able to speak with the NICU doctor? If you are, ask him about it and possiable effects it might have and go from there. That's the best advice I can give on that issue.

I was never able to pump more than 60ml at a time, and usually it was in the 30-40ml range. I used a hospital-grade double pump and I found that it helped if I pumped about 10 minutes, waited for 5 minutes, then pumped AGAIN for another 5 minutes - I could usually get another 10ml or so during that second pumping.

Personally, I'm wary of any medications. I was pumping every 1.5 - 2 hours at one point to produce enough for DS's bottles, but my goal was to get him off the bottles and onto the breast and be done with the durned pump fer good! I offered him the breast every time it was time to feed him. Early on, he had trouble latching on, so I'd give him a bottle. Later he figured out how to latch, but he tired out after a few minutes, so I'd give him a bottle. A little later he'd have days where he'd nurse pretty well a few times a day and I'd give him no bottles for those feeding sessions but would give him bottles at the other sessions when he didn't nurse so well. After three weeks, he matured enough and caught on so that we didn't need the bottles anymore.

Once he was breastfeeding for every feed, I found that my supply increased greatly. Also, the baby is much more efficient at extracting the milk than the pump is - your output at the pump is NOT a good indication of your supply!

To build up your supply once you do get him at the breast, though, I recommend that let him BF a LOT - as much as he wants. (This was tough at first because all MY ds ever wanted to do was sleep!) Milk supply is based on supply and demand. There are lots of good articles at the LLL website and at the kellymom.com site regarding this issue. I spent Labor Day weekend (a 3-day holiday weekend here in the U.S.) pretty much feeding my DS and doing nothing else, and I was amazed at how much more I can hear him drinking.

I was in the exact same place three months ago that you are now in, worried about my supply and getting him off the bottle and onto the breast (you can check out my post from June called "How did YOU wean your baby from the bottle to the breast?"). Unless you know for sure that you have a low supply, I can recommend from firsthand experience that you TRUST your body!

Good luck - you're doing great!

Hi Tish thanks so much for your reply. I feel really reassured knowing that you've went through the same thing. The pump makes me feel like such a failure at times and I'm constantly worrying about it. My boy does try and breastfeed but he gets tired and has to be topped up through NG tube. I think he will be coming home quite soon though, which is good, we can then get into BF in a relaxing environment.

That's exactly when it all came together for us. When he finally came home, I had access to him (and him to me) anytime I wanted, in a comfortable place, with no wires and monitors and bells and nurses and other parents and babies, etc. He was 36 weeks at the time, and 3 weeks later we were BFing exclusively. It was hard to do (BF, then pump, then give a bottle, then start all over again!), but very well worth it.

Hang in there!!!!

HI there- I took domperidone when my son (Jasper, now three) was born at 31 weeks and my milk didn't come in. I found it fantastic, and my thoughts were that any side effects would be off set by the fact that I actually had milk. I was willing to trade off to be able to b/f. Anyway, all of a sudden I had boobs like big old boulders and was pumping like a crazy thing! He came out of hospital when he was 35 weeks and didn't ween till he was 19 months. I yrealise I was really lucky- he started sucking at the breast really early so I had to pump for only a month, but before you know it, your baby will be three and enormous!

My first baby was a 33 weeker, and I had some of the same problems. I wouldn't take any meds without the NICU dr. and your LC both agreeing. Once your baby is nursing all the time, your supply will increase. Keep in mind that he's only taking tiny amounts at a time right now. Once he's nursing directly from you, as he gradually takes more, you will make more and more.

I hope your baby is home now! You are doing a great job!

Hi there sorry I've not posted for a while. Logan had to get his laser treatment for ROP so I've been worried sick. But def since I started Domperidone, the milk has increased, which is one less worry. He has been breastfeeding as well but not so well. The last 2 times I tried he desaturated and had to be revived. The nurse said reflux can do this.