Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pumping for Prem baby

Default Re: Pumping for Prem baby

Quote Originally Posted by mandybhari
    Hi Marcie I tried to BF again today but Logan fell asleep. I'm going to try again later on this evening. (If you think I'm posting at weird times, it's because I'm in Scotland!!). I guess the first few times will just be him finding and getting to know the breast. I just love him so much and want him to do well as this is the best thing for him, specially, being premature.

Your right, your doing the best thing for him!!!! And it sounds like your doing such a great job, I'm so proud of you and you should be very proud of yourself for sticking with it and doing so well!!!! I sorry, I'm tearing up just thinking of the way I felt when my LO was in the NICU and we were going through the same thing. I think it was the determination that this was going to work that got me through it, all the pumping, being able to nurse once a day once I was allowed to, etc....It is such a amazing thing that you are doing!!!!! I thought everytime would be such a struggle, it does get better and easier, it took us about 3 months to get bf down good, it is so worth doing, my LO is now almost 11 months old. I'm so proud of you & your LO

Oh Marcie, that's so sweet, thank you. I really appreciate your support. It's good to hear it from someone whos been through it all.

LOL - I don't know about been through it all, but we have been though a lot.

Mandy ,

Sorry for the delayed response. I only hope you read this. I pumped for my 28 weeker for two years. Make sure you are double pumping every time this will significantly increase your output. I would also recommend a hospital grade pump. My favorite tip would be to get a hands free bra so you can sit in the NICU and pump while holding the baby. Read up on Kangaroo care, it really works. I wishyou lots of luck I remember how difficult it is. If I can help with any of my own experiences please let me know.

Post Re: Pumping for Prem baby

Hi guys...Just a quick update...I recently discovered that they were adding formula to my milk. I was quite upset about this but I discussed with the nurses and they said that because Logan was so small, formula has been added to help him put on weight. They said it wouldn't affect him breastfeeding. Also I disovered that they were giving him one bottle feed at night. I objected to this as I want to establish breastfeeding first. What do you all think?

Hi guys...Just a quick update...I recently discovered that they were adding formula to my milk. I was quite upset about this but I discussed with the nurses and they said that because Logan was so small, formula has been added to help him put on weight. They said it wouldn't affect him breastfeeding. Also I disovered that they were giving him one bottle feed at night. I objected to this as I want to establish breastfeeding first. What do you all think?
    When Madeline was in the NICU, she recieved formula. I, for one, was not producing enough (let me rephrase that, I wasen't able to produce what the doctor ordered for her to eat at one feeding) and they put my milk in the formula also. I know the NICU's here use a high calorie formula and pour the milk to them to get them to put on weight. Once I got her home though, she was perfectly content with just nursing and her weight gain was fine. She hasen't had any formula since she left the NICU on 10/21/2005. Actually she hasen't had anything but breastmilk since then. I know I was heart broken when they were giving her formula, I didn't want them to and I did protest also, but when they are in the NICU, you really don't get a choice, espically if they are "underweight." Keep working with you ds on the breastfeeding (as many times during the day as they will let you) and keep up the pumping. Your doing great mom!!!!!

Hi Marcie thanks for your advice. Logan is also getting one bottlefeed to 2 tube feeds each day now. He also breastfeeds twice a day. The nurses have advised that bottlefeeding wont interfere with breastfeeding. What do you think? I'm so desperate to breastfeed properly that all these things are worrying me...

Hi Mandy,

My daughter was bottle fed BM in the NICU - at my request actually, I couldn't stand them putting the g-tube in and actually saw a baby there at that time with damage due to it constantly being changed. My daughter wouldn't really look at the breast until she was 40 weeks, but has nursed like a champ since then (5 months old, 3 months adjusted now). And to tell you the truth, I have needed her to take a bottle recently and she refuses, so be careful what you wish for! Also, I understand your distaste for formula - I felt the same way - but remember, your goal right now is to have a healthy baby and most importantly one you can take home from the hospital. I was up for whatever it took to accomplish that.

PM me if you would like to talk more, I can offer tons more advice about feedings since that is what kept us in the NICU for so long.

Hi Marcie thanks for your advice. Logan is also getting one bottlefeed to 2 tube feeds each day now. He also breastfeeds twice a day. The nurses have advised that bottlefeeding wont interfere with breastfeeding. What do you think? I'm so desperate to breastfeed properly that all these things are worrying me...

It didn't interfear with us, they also gave her a pacifier in the NICU that didn't give us any problems, I didn't give her a bottle though once we got home, she only nursed. I think every child is diffrent if they get "nipple confusion", my daughter didn't. How is he nursing now? Does he have a NG Tube in (the one up the nose) or a G-Tube? (directly into the belly, my DD has one now from a surgery she had done back in May). Your luck they only let me nurse once a day, I would have been thrilled with twice a day. I had so many questions also and seemed to be the only (in the NICU group we were in) one in there that was nursing and had no one to talk to. Your doing a great job and all these questions are so so normal!!!!!

Hi there, Logan has an NG tube which he is forever pulling out. I feel less worried having discussed the bottle thing with you all. I've heard that you can get teats which mimic the breast. Any suggestions? Logna does seem to breastfeed fine but gets a bit tired and goes to sleep and then he has to get his milk through the NG tube.