Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pumping for Prem baby

Default Re: Pumping for Prem baby

Quote Originally Posted by mandybhari
    Hi everyone, I have increased frequency and this seems to be helping. I have also been prescribed something called Domperidone. Does anyone have any experience of this? And does it help? Thanks
    Mandy
    It is suppose to increase milk supply by shutting off the hormone that stops it. My sister was on this and it didn't do any good because she had a good supply. These drugs only work from what I understand if the mother has a low supply of milk. If your body is producing what it thinks it needs to, it won't work. Just keep in mind that this drug is not FDA approved and discuss with the NICU doctors before taking anything. I know with my daughter I couldn't drink caffinee due to a medication she was on (cafcit) and they also didn't want me on fenugreek. Also keep in mind that in the NICU they pour the food to them and there is almost no way to keep up with what the doctors are wanting them to take in at a feeding, in my opinion was too much. I never could keep up with the amount they were feeding her through her NG tube no matter how many times or how much I pumped. Once she got home, she was satisified with what I was producing. Hope some of this helps.

Marcie
    Mom of Madeline

Hi all, I went to the doctors today and he advised me NOT to take the domperidone. He read in his medical book that lactating women should NOT take it. I'm pretty baffled by this. And I have looked it up on the internet now and it all basically advises against using this.

Check out Dr Hale's website. I'm not sure of the address but if you google "Dr. Hale" and "breastfeeding" you'll get it. It's considered to be the safest level of drug for lactating women and is approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics. However, it is not available in the US at all b/c it's not approved by the FDA. I've taken it b/c I have to exclusively pump for my child and it has helped my greatly w/ no side effects. It was also recommended in the Kathleen Huggins' book "Guide for Breastfeeding Mothers." Good luck.

Hi all, I went to the doctors today and he advised me NOT to take the domperidone. He read in his medical book that lactating women should NOT take it. I'm pretty baffled by this. And I have looked it up on the internet now and it all basically advises against using this.

If the doctors tell you not to take it, I wouldn't take it due to possiable other side effects it will have on baby and any meds. I know when my daughter was in the NICU I was not allowed to take anything when pumping for her due to reaction to her meds, which I had to continue to do after she left the NICU on certian meds. Here's one, I couldn't have any caffine (Coffee, Sodas, Tea, Chocolate, etc...) due to one of her medications and the just slight possibility of it transfering over. Things are diffrent for premies than theu are for full term babys. Good Job for being there for your little one and pumping!!!!

Marcie
    Mom of Madeline

Hi everyone, my baby finally got to try some breastfeeding for the first time. He is now 35 weeks gestation. He was born at 26 weeks so is 9 weeks old. He couldn't latch on for long but did manage to get some milk. Is this quite good for a prem baby? The nurse said it was good for his first time. I'm not really sure though...

Hi everyone, my baby finally got to try some breastfeeding for the first time. He is now 35 weeks gestation. He was born at 26 weeks so is 9 weeks old. He couldn't latch on for long but did manage to get some milk. Is this quite good for a prem baby? The nurse said it was good for his first time. I'm not really sure though...

The first time is usually a "getting to know you and your boob" session. I am so happy for you!!!!! I know I cried the first time the let me nurse Madeline. I know I was allowed to try to nurse her once a day after the 1st time and I so looked forward to it. The nurses/lc/occupational thearpist will work with you and your son to make sure it goes good. Congrats again.

Just wanted to chime in with my congratulations!!!! I definitely can identify with what you've been going through. Remember, ANY bm is better than none. He's so tiny that the fact that he got some milk is a real testament to both of you. You should be super proud!!

My DS was born at 30 weeks. I, too, was pumping every 3 hours around the clock, sometimes at home, sometimes at the hospital. Once I was allowed to attempt feeding him, the first few days were very frustrating. On the third day, finally with two nurses helping me we got DS to latch on. Did I mention we also discovered I had flat nipples at that point?!? I had to start wearing shells, and I used a shield during nursing for a bit too.

But after the first few days it got better exponentially. DS took to it like a champ and went home just two weeks after he started nursing! Today he's 5 and half months old (adjusted age: 3 months and a week) and over 13 pounds -- never a drop of formula!

Thanks guys...All your support really helps... Logan tried again yesterday and done much better. He fell asleep a bit though but really seemed to enjoy it. Am I right in thinking that there should not be any pain but I should def feel a sucking sensation?

Thanks guys...All your support really helps... Logan tried again yesterday and done much better. He fell asleep a bit though but really seemed to enjoy it. Am I right in thinking that there should not be any pain but I should def feel a sucking sensation?

I know the first few time there was a little pain involved and I did feel her sucking, but it was very very light. She often fell asleep at the breast and we had to wake her up to finish (that's what the occupational thearpist did with her was wake her during our nursing sessions).

Hi Marcie I tried to BF again today but Logan fell asleep. I'm going to try again later on this evening. (If you think I'm posting at weird times, it's because I'm in Scotland!!). I guess the first few times will just be him finding and getting to know the breast. I just love him so much and want him to do well as this is the best thing for him, specially, being premature.