Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pumping for Prem baby

Default Pumping for Prem baby

Hi I'm new to this forum. I need some advice about pumping. My baby was born at 26 weeks and has been in NICU for 5 weeks now. I try and pump 5-7 times per day. I average about 20 mls to 40 mls. The most I have ever got in one go is anout 60mls. Is this normal? What do other women in the same position get? Just now my baby is getting 8ml per hour continously via oro gastic tube. Soon I'm going to find it hard keeping up with him. Help?

Default Re: Pumping for Prem baby

Hello and congratulations on your baby. Don't worry, your milk will increase with your baby's needs. Just make sure that you hold your baby and that will increase your production. I have a 33 weeker who spent 4 weeks in the NICU and I remember that after a 2 or 3 hour session of holding her I would pump twice as much as before - you can even pump right in front of the baby or while holding him/her. Be sure to do Kangaroo Care as well, the skin-to-skin contact will help you even more. Lots of luck and be sure to check back with your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by mandybhari
    I try and pump 5-7 times per day.
    Can you increase the frequency to 10 times a day? The key to increasing your supply is to increase the demand.

Hi thanks for replies. I can certainly try to pump about 10 times. How long should I pump each time? Also my right breast gives signficantly less milk than the left one, is this normal? And how can I increase this? My baby, Logan, was quite sick so I could not have much contact with him. But he is much more stable now so I will also be trying as much kangaroo as possible. I will let you know how I get on and how he is doing too... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandybhari
    I can certainly try to pump about 10 times. How long should I pump each time? Also my right breast gives signficantly less milk than the left one, is this normal?
    I pump until the "spray" or "stream" stops and then another minute or two. I also use hand express after pumping. When my ds was first born, I was exclusively pumping for 2 weeks and didn't get the spray or stream. If that's the case for you, pump for 10-15 minutes each session.

The variation you describe is normal. My left breast also produces more. I tried to begin each feeding on the right to even up, but it still is a little behind.

My daughter was born at 34 weeks (she's now almost 10 months old) and had a 10 day stay in the NICU. The most I ever brought in one bottle to the NICU was 5-10mL...pretty bad. I felt so stupid and bad for only being able to pump that much (I would pump every couple of hours, even through the night). I drank gallons and gallons of water, ate correctly but that's all I could ever do at one pump session. That is perfectly normal and I can tell you it got better once she started nursing from me and after we got her out of the hossy. Have you worked with a occupational thearpist about nursing yet? I was told by the Lactation Consultant to take fenugreek to increase supply, but due to premie my daughters pedi said not to do it, you may want to check with the pedi in the NICU before taking anything to increase supply. Hope this helps and CONGRATS to you for sticking though the NICU and being there to pump for your little angel.

Marcie
    Mom of Madeline

Congratulations!

Yes, it's normal for one side to produce a little more than the other.

Are you seeing the hospital's IBCLC?

You might find these tips helpful:

*Pump at least 8x a day
    *Pump for 2 minutes after no more milk comes (this will signal your milk producing cells to make more)
    *Pump next to your baby's isolette.
    *If you can do kangaroo care (with the help of a "hands free" bra), one of the nurses could assist you in pumping one breast while kangarooing your baby.
    *eat some oatmeal
    *drink to thirst
    *rest when you can
    *consider cluster pumping (pump for 10, rest for 10 for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in 1 hour) once a day may be enough to help

Smile Re: Pumping for Prem baby

Mandi:
    I had a 28 weeker and was in the NICU for 11 weeks. The tips of the board administrator were excellent. I know its hard to pump so often given frequent visits to the hospital, especially at night. I would try to stay up late and pump during the Tonight Show (around 12AM) and then set my alarm to do it again at 3AM. It was grueling, but worth it.

I would eat ALOT of oatmeal, sometimes two instant bags three times a day. It was easy with the limited time we had for meals and it really filled me up.

Stay the course, you will be done with this phase of your baby's life before you know it, and then you'll have your baby home to cuddle and nurse all the time!

Michele

Thanks for your lovely replies. I'm still expressing!! And getting a little bit more each time, thanks to all your advice! I finally got to to some kangaroo care. It was just wonderful!! I'm so looking forward to some more. Thanks everyone!!

Hi everyone, I have increased frequency and this seems to be helping. I have also been prescribed something called Domperidone. Does anyone have any experience of this? And does it help? Thanks
    Mandy