Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pumping for Prem baby

Default Re: Pumping for Prem baby

Quote Originally Posted by mandybhari
    Hi there sorry I've not posted for a while. Logan had to get his laser treatment for ROP so I've been worried sick. But def since I started Domperidone, the milk has increased, which is one less worry. He has been breastfeeding as well but not so well. The last 2 times I tried he desaturated and had to be revived. The nurse said reflux can do this.

The nurse is right, reflux can cause a lot of problems. We had to revive Madeline multiple time in the NICU and a few times at home (apnea caused from reflux). Have they got him on any reflux medicaions? I am so happy that your milk has increased and sad to hear about his eyes, but that should help with the laser treatment. Madeline will have to have glasses due to her eyes, we've already been preped for that to happen in Dec.

Marcie

Smile Re: Pumping for Prem baby

Hi I am also new to the forum and I am dealing with the same situation. My son was born at 32 weeks and spent 23 days in the NICU. I started out pumping and getting about 20 mls each now I get about 80-100mls. If a hospital grade pump is available to you to rent that is the best one you can use. Make sure to drink plenty of liquids to help increase your supply. Also eating oatmeal helps, drinking "Mothers Milk" tea, and eating or cooking with the herb Fennal. All of these things really helped my supply. Make sure to pump every 3 hours and even through the night. I know it is VERY exausting but it will increase if you do. Best of luck to you and don't worry you will have enough milk for your little one. It's amazing what our bodies are capable of doing for our babies.

Hi guys sorry I've not posted for a while, just been so busy going to hospital. My boy is going to be released in about 2 weeks on oxygen so I've been trying to establish breastfeeding. It's been going well, however, I am concerned that my boy's not getting enough. Also it takes ages to wind him. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mandybhari View Post
    Hi guys sorry I've not posted for a while, just been so busy going to hospital. My boy is going to be released in about 2 weeks on oxygen so I've been trying to establish breastfeeding. It's been going well, however, I am concerned that my boy's not getting enough. Also it takes ages to wind him. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice, thanks.
    As far as the amount goes, you can always weigh him before you nurse and then again after you nurse (before he is given anything else). This is a great way to actually see how much he is taking in. Make sure the diapers are clean though before weighing. The NICU Nurses I did this with didn't mind either. I am happy he is close to coming home!!! YAY for you and your DS!!!!

Any word on when you DS is coming home?

Hi all, sorry I've not been on for a while. I've been at the hospital a lot. The oxygen is geting fitted in my house tommorrow so it should be very soon he comes home!!!! I can't wait!! I'm still trying to BF him and he is getting better. Sometimes he does need a bit of a top up with expressed milk. On the whole, things are going really well. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Quote Originally Posted by mandybhari View Post
    Hi all, sorry I've not been on for a while. I've been at the hospital a lot. The oxygen is geting fitted in my house tommorrow so it should be very soon he comes home!!!! I can't wait!! I'm still trying to BF him and he is getting better. Sometimes he does need a bit of a top up with expressed milk. On the whole, things are going really well. I'll let you know how it goes!!
    YAY, sounds like you'll have your baby home real soon....Congrats!!!!

Bumping, haven't seen you around, how is everything? Update???

Help!!!
    I am a new mother of two adorable preemies born at 28 weeks. I have been pumping for a month and my supply is almost gone completely. It never really came in strong anyway, but I used to get at least 2oz between 2 breasts. However, I now only get half an oz on a good pumping session. I have increased pumping sessions to 9-10 a day and 1-2 at night, taking fenugreek and blessed thistle and am drinking more water. So far no changes and I really want this to work out. I am not giving up, but am getting frustrated. If anyone has any suggestions please donot hesitate to help! The NICU is now mixing what breastmilk I have with formula to stretch it out, but I don't like the fact that I have to do that.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Ask Dr. about domperidone - I know some gets excreted in the breastmilk and isn't a problem for full - term babies but I don't know about preemies. Regardless, I think it's very important to keep trying - domperidone should definately boost your supply. Do the dr. s know when you can start trying to nurse the babies? Also, do you pump in the same room as the babies sometimes? That may help, or take pictures of the babies to look at while you pump. And don't look at the bottle swhen you're pumping to see how much is coming out! Like a watched pot never boils - the more you worry about it the worse it gets. Good luck and don't give up! This is the best thing you can do for your babies especially because they got here early!! Talk to a lactation consultant if you can as well - find support (you're doing a good job by posting here too!) and know that when you can finally take your babies to your breast, it will be worth all the trouble you're going through. oh and congratulations on your babes!!