Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 month old tongue thruster

Default 4 month old tongue thruster

Hi all,

I am a day care provider. I have a 2 year old, 20 month, my 9 month and a 4 month old. My 4 month old is formula fed and has started rice cereal with bananas last week. She is NOT ready for solids IMO, but I have given suggestions and now I must do as the parent requests.

So..... My question is how do you feed a tongue thruster. I try and get it in behind her tongue, but it makes SUCH a mess. She really enjoys eating the food, but Mom has her eating almost 1/2 cup mixed with formula powder in the morning.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.. I HATE the way formula smells!!!!
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Default Re: 4 month old tongue thruster

I'm not sure there really is a way. That's why we all see cartoons and movies depict feeding tiny babies as a big mess with food all over everything- you can't get it in if baby doesn't want it. I'm not sure I would try getting it behind her tongue, since the tongue-thrust reflex is supposed to keep her from choking. Maybe just dab a tiny amount on her tongue instead of offering a spoonful?
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

My MIL said to me put the spoon of food in the back of the baby's mouth, to place the food on the back of the tongue so young babies swallow it better. I found this a bit shocking too be honest but my MIL swears on her life that this method works cos she had 6 children herself and they all were on solids earlier than 4 mths, so I guess it does. (This was my MIL advising me to feed my 4 mth old - but I left it till 6 mths).
    Last edited by @llli*petal; June 21st, 2008 at 08:05 AM.

maybe mom has no clue how much baby is tounge thrusting?
    go slow? Thats all the advice that I have...
    1/2 a cup of cereal sounds like a lot for a baby that young
    HOw are her poops?

my ds would do that to but i started letting him suck it off the spoon and now he does really well.
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.to2 View Post
    my ds would do that to but i started letting him suck it off the spoon and now he does really well.
    Yes, I noticed she tends to suck the cereal off the spoon as well.

I also feel that 1/2 cup of cereal is alot at such a young age. I go slowly, and when she seems like she is done, I stop.

It is hard after researching and reading so much, to follow my Parents wishes when I know they are not doing their children any favors. At least I talked her out of putting the cereal in the bottle!!
    All I do is

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)

You could also just say that you will under no circumstances feed solids to a baby who still has a tongue-thrust reflex, and that if feeding the child is so important, perhaps the parents would be better off finding a less careful caretaker.

It's pretty harsh, but why should you be made complicit in the torturing of this poor baby who isn't ready to eat?

I've been a nanny, just FYI, so I do put my money where my mouth is. When my employer asked if fewer hours would be okay, I said, "You mean you are going to spend more time with your kids? Why on earth would that be a problem for me?" And I meant it. It was less money, but it was better for the kids and no way would I stand in the way of that.

Hope I'm not coming off as too harsh, but you are not being forced to feed that baby. You can refuse, if you really feel it's wrong. I wouldn't suggest secretly not feeding the baby, but if you think the parents are asking you to do something damaging to the child, you can and should refuse and tell them they can find another caregiver if they want to.
    Lollie
    Mommy to Juni 7 and Jas 5
    Too lazy to use a crib, bottle-feed, wean, or pack school bags

I agree with Lollie. A baby not ready for solids can easily choke, I wouldn't want that responsibility of knowingly doing something potentially dangerous to the child.

I know it's not right, but "Ladybug 6" is a carer for the baby and is asking for advice on feeding a very very young baby, because the mum is managing to make the baby eat 1/2 a cup of cereal a day mixed with FF. And, at the end of the day it's the baby mother choice to feed her baby this early and it's is her right and we can't say or do anything about it.

I can only guess that the baby's mother is using a long spoon and placing the food on the back of the baby's tongue. My MIL had described this perfectly, I said that sound a bit harsh, but she says the baby is non the wiser b/c it's so young. Yes, there's a risk of choking, but then again these are the risks that these type of mothers are willing to take. B/c they genuinely think they ARE doing their baby good and nobody can convince them otherwise.

It is very hard for me to follow parents wishes unconditionally. I have put my foot down in the past, but I have been very luck that the Parents have always respected my opinion, and I followed it up with documentation.

I do want to say that as a Mother, if I asked a caregiver to do something to/for my child, and that was not done, or they said it was done and it really was not, I would be FURIOUS!! That is why I try and follow their wishes, unless it is causing harm to the child.

I did tell her today that it MIGHT be a good idea to wait and talk to her DR about adding solids so soon. Hopefully that will work, but if not, I will keep trying to help her LO eat.

Thanks for all the advice. I see this is an interesting topic and everyone has very strong opinions on it!
    All I do is

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)