Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and Possible Jury Duty?

Default Pumping and Possible Jury Duty?

I am "on-call" next week for possible jury duty and am exclusively breastfeeding my 3 month old son. I must call each evening to see if I have to report the next day. I am back to work, but am pumping 3x a day. There is no law in my state to excuse breastfeeding mothers. If I do have to go, I assume I won't be picked because I am breastfeeding and need 3, 15-20 minute breaks throughout the day. However, I had jury duty 3 years ago and was there 1/2 a day before it was decided I wasn't picked as a juror.

If I do have to go that first day and can't pump until lunch time or whenever, will that affect my supply at all? Pumping at work 3x a day gets me 8.5-10oz total which is just enough to keep up with my son (including some evening and weekend pumping). I do have a small freezer stash, but would hate to start having supply issues.

As I said I can't imagine them picking me after finding out I need to pump 3x a day, but would like to try and plan for this the best I can just in case. My fingers are crossed that there will be no cases next week and won't have to report at all!

Default Re: Pumping and Possible Jury Duty?

OMG. I can't imagine how stressed I'd be if I were faced with jury duty or with just sitting around for a day waiting to be dismissed.

Are you sure that you can get an exemption due to b/f? Please post and let us know how this turns out!

From what I've read in other posts and from the LC, your body should be able to weather a 1/2 day change to your schedule. But, I'd pack the pump and an extention cord just in case you need to pump in the public rest room. I know some would find this just too much, but I'm shameless and will pump anywhere to be sure that I have enough for my LO. You might also want to pump a few times at night for a few nights before the jury duty days to have some extra in the freezer.

Also, is there a number you can call to find out if exclusively b/f is an acceptable reason to be let out of jury duty altogether? It's worth a try.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Call them and talk to them, they should be able to get you breaks to pump!
    But if they don't know you need to pump they cann't help.

I agree, you may not be able to get out of duty, but when I served last summer they were totally accommodating to any need for breaks, etc. Even during a trial, if you had a reason to take a break they would make it happen -- if they knew up front. Good luck!
    Justice is sweet and musical; but injustice is harsh and discordant. ~ Henry David Thoreau (1817–1862)

If you seek truth you will not seek victory by dishonorable means, and if you find truth you will become invincible. ~ Epictetus (c. 50–120)

and if it ends up being only one day and you go hours without pumping...dont worry...it should affect your supply..I have gone a couple of days spread apart... where I went 8 hours....just was somewhere each time without my pump or whatever...and when I did finally get to pump I went a little longer and would often get two feeds worth! I made sure to do some extra massages to get it all out!! SO if you dont get picked on that first day ... great...if you do, then I would worry more about the breaks for pumping!

HTH
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

when i had dd #1 i called the phone number and explained that i was bfing an infant--she was a couple of months. i was able to postpone my jury duty rather than get out of it completely.

good luck!

Max & Maddie's Mommy

Madeline Grace 06/02/02, reflux
    Luke Macsen 04/01/08, severe reflux, MFPI, FTT

Thanks for all the replies! I called, explained my situation, and just got a call back that the judge has excused me from jury duty!!! The lady said they didn't really have the means to accommodate me (i.e. private room to pump). Thanks again for your support!