Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 months in the freezer?

Default 5 months in the freezer?

LLLI guidelines say to store milk 3 to 4 months in a side-by-side seperate door freezer but I forgot about it and it has been in there 5 months. Can I really not use it? Should I not? You know ho we HATE to waste BM!!
    LLL Leader Cabarrus County, North Carolina

Default Re: 5 months in the freezer?

I believe Kellymom says 4-6 months. Same thing happened to me and I thawed some that was 5 months old and it still smelled fine and tasted fine, so I used it.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    I believe Kellymom says 4-6 months. Same thing happened to me and I thawed some that was 5 months old and it still smelled fine and tasted fine, so I used it.
    This is encouraging. How do I know if it tastes fine. I've not tasted it before.

I have read that you LO will not take it if it is bad. I would defrost it and smell it. If it smells funny, toss it. If it smells ok, try it with your LO.

HTH.

P.S. I am so bad, I have to written the date on my milk since she was 4 months old!! I have to smell it everytime I defrost it!!
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladybug6 View Post
    I have read that you LO will not take it if it is bad. I would defrost it and smell it. If it smells funny, toss it. If it smells ok, try it with your LO.

HTH.

P.S. I am so bad, I have to written the date on my milk since she was 4 months old!! I have to smell it everytime I defrost it!!
    Well, I don't plan to give it to him in a bottle. I planned to mix it with cereal, thin out mashed sweet potato, or other solids that he's starting on. I guess I'll defrost it and smell it.

ive gone that long...and I did the same as pp suggested..let LO be the judge, they say if its bad, they wont take it...she has never refused!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

I've read that if it is bad, you will know. It'll smell like spoiled regular milk...sour. I know when I defrost my milk always smells a bit different (fresh seems odorless), but not bad. The defrost cycle of your freezer, being frozen next to other foods, fluctuating freezer temps, etc can all make your milk smell a little different, but you'll know if it smells really bad.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09