Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron suppliments

Default Iron suppliments

When we left the ICN they gave us some multi-vitamin drops with IRON. The key being the iron. We gave it to my daughter for about 2 1/2 months after lots of gas and discomfort I began reading and speaking to other BF'ing mothers and could not figure out exactly why she needed to be on it. So we stopped giving it to her. We talked to the Ped. at our last visit and she stated that we really need to give it to her at 6 months. I am wondering if other premie's are being given the same vitamin and if so when did you start using it? The ped. said that if we were giving her formula we would not need to give her the vitamin/iron.
    *leslie*
    Proud mama of Aubrey Anna; BF since 1/22/2008
    born 6 weeks early weighed 4lbs 6oz, got down to 4lb even.
    2 weeks 4lbs 4oz
    1 month 5lbs 12oz
    2 months 8 lbs 6oz
    4 months 12lbs 6 oz

"jersey cow" attached to my pump for the first month since she was in the hospital so long. (that was worse than anything my daughter can do to me)

BF goals: 1 month, 2 months, 3 months (back to work), 4 months, 5 months, 6 months, and where ever we end up

Default Re: Iron suppliments

I was told to give vit D supplements to both my sons (5 wks preemie & >3 wks preemie) which is typical for all BF newborns where I live (in the north). My understanding is that infants absorb enough iron in the first 6 months of life that it is a non-issue regardless of BF or formula. Once they are 6 mo.s old moms are supposed to start introducing iron fortified foods (usually cereals).

Here's some info from the National [USA] Institute of Health:

Iron in human breast milk is well absorbed by infants. It is estimated that infants can use greater than 50% of the iron in breast milk as compared to less than 12% of the iron in infant formula [1]. The amount of iron in cow's milk is low, and infants poorly absorb it. Feeding cow's milk to infants also may result in gastrointestinal bleeding. For these reasons, cow's milk should not be fed to infants until they are at least 1 year old [1]. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that infants be exclusively breast fed for the first six months of life. Gradual introduction of iron-enriched solid foods should complement breast milk from 7 to 12 months of age [26]. Infants weaned from breast milk before 12 months of age should receive iron-fortified infant formula [26]. Infant formulas that contain from 4 to 12 milligrams of iron per liter are considered iron-fortified [27].
    2005 2008

I am not totally clear on all the aspects of premies - but if memory serves, premies are at a higer "risk" for anemia. BUT just giving the vitamins w/o a clear needs seems silly. (IMO)

He can do a quick iron check in the office...

Here's some more info regarding vitamins - but remember with premies 'rules' can be different.

ETA:

I found this quote from this page:

Babies who were born prematurely, since babies get the majority of their iron stores from their mother during the last trimester of pregnancy.

In addition, there is evidence that babies whose birth weights are less than 3000 grams - about 6.5 pounds - (whether term or premature) tend to have reduced iron stores at birth and appear to need additional iron earlier.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Our son was 8 weeks early, and we too were sent home with iron supplements...which the nurses in the NICU affectionately called "swamp water." And with good reason too, we tasted it...it's disgusting.

We gave it to our son until right after his due date. I could never get the same answer from the dr.'s, and I figured that most term babies aren't sent home with it, and it can be very dangerous if they get too much.

Once we did that our dr. told us that was fine...go figure.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Talk about eating my words (PP)...at our last pedi appt the doc prescribed iron supplements for my son. It was like he all of a sudden remembered he was a preemie. He was a prescribed the drops for 4 weeks and the doc explained that it was because it is at a certain gestational age (I think he said 36 wks) that the fetus can start to absorb the mom's iron.
    2005 2008

my son was born at 29 weeks 5 days. they sent us home with vitamins with iron too...i didnt use them.

boy now im wishing i would have. his iron is extremely low and im having a hard time getting it up, if we dont get it up by friday he will have to have an iv infusion.

anyway, the reason so many preemies are iron deficient is because babies get their iron stores from mom in the 3rd trimester, if they arent in utero that 3rd trimester they obviously wont get that store

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*steffanie View Post
    my son was born at 29 weeks 5 days. they sent us home with vitamins with iron too...i didnt use them.

boy now im wishing i would have. his iron is extremely low and im having a hard time getting it up, if we dont get it up by friday he will have to have an iv infusion.
    I hope things will turn out to be better for your son. If you could, arrange for direct blood donation for him (though I hope he won't need the transfusion!!)

How old is your son? Hope other moms in similar situation can offer you pat on your shoulders or their stories. My situation is different from yours, but I would like to tell you that transfusion saved my daughter's life.

My daugther was anemic while in NICU and received transfusion 4 times (for various reasons, neither my DH nor I could give her our blood). Her iron levels were closely monitored during and post NICU while we continued to give her iron drops (even after her iron counts went up to the normal range) at home, too. When she started to refuse bottle all together (we were giving her iron & multi-vitamin with EBM in a bottle), though, we discontinued giving her the iron - her ped. was relaxed about it by then, and OK'd it granted we will check her iron count at her 1yr check up. I BF'd her and tried to give her iron-fortified cereal, then iron-rich food with vitamin C-rich food once she started solids. At her 1 yr check up, her iron was at excellent level (she still BFs quite often and she loves eating solids, too).

I will be thinking about you and your son. Let us keep posted on how you are doing, what you guys/doctors do and what helped, etc.
    Last edited by @llli*wakawaka; November 3rd, 2008 at 05:30 AM.
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!

thanks for sharing your story!
    I bet that will help.

did anyone find a good way to give this? my daughter spits out at least half of it!

how old is baby?
    We used this iron suppliment..
    and my toddler would take it

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...UNE?id=FL-1007