Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping & Washing

Default Pumping & Washing

I'll try to be brief. I have 6 week old twins and due to major latch problems and nipple rawness, started pumping at around 2 weeks. Then due to weight gain issues & supply issues I also began supplementing with formula.

So my life basically consists of bottle feeding the babies (alternating b/w bm and formula), washing bottles (they feed every 3 hours), then pumping and washing pump stuff, (I pump every 2 hours.). By the time I finish feeding it's time to pump. When I'm ready to feed again, it's time to pump. I'm going nuts! (lol)

Anyway, there are times that I pump and before I even get a chance to put the milk away, the babies are "calling". Next thing I know, my alarm clock is going off again that it's time to pump! So... my question is.... how bad is it if I just pump again into those same bottles? (my a/c is on so the house is cool)

Let me know your thoughts
    Mary - mom to Gabriela (3.20.99), Steven (5.17.01) and Sofia (3.20.06)

Default Re: Pumping & Washing

Here are the LLL milk storage guidelines - so depending on how long between pumping sessions you could leave everything out, or pop all your things that touch the milk into the fridge!
    This sounds like an exhausting schedule mama! Please let us know if you'd like some info on getting them back to the breast. Are you in touch with someone local for breastfeeding support? A Leader or a Lactation Consultant might have some ideas for you, or maybe know some moms of multiples in your area who you can talk with!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I wash mine after each pumping, but I've read that a lot of pumping mamas just put their containers in the fridge in between pumpings and wash at the end of the day. HTH.

i pump into the same bottles for 24 hours, i also only completely wash everything once a day, i keep the setups in the fridge after i've used them attached to the bottles....i have two setups one for work and one for home fwiw...

if i were you i'd just put everything into the fridge .... i wouldn't wash more than 2 times a day at most
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Wow, you are one tough mama! Your babies are lucky to have such a dedicated mom!

For washing up, my lc said it was ok to wash the kit twice a day, morning and night. You can definitely pump into the same bottle if it isn't yet full. Also, if one of the twins doesn't finish their bottle, you can refridgerate the leftover and feed it the next feeding. Ad, most life-savingly, breastmilk stays good at room temperature for several hours.

One thing I found helpful when pumping round the clock was to have the pump setup by the bed. I put the kit and bottles in a cooler with an icepack and just rinsed the flanges after pumping. There are disinfectant wipes you can buy and use if you're fastidious. Because I was only washing twice a day, I would disinfect the kit at night by microwaving it in a Medela sterilization bag.

Thanks ladies! This helps.

Jessica - I have seen a LC several times and we solved the latch problems, but I was so discouraged by the weight issues with my babies that now I feel like the only way to know they are getting enough is with the bottle. Which is weird b/c I EBF my other3 DC for over a year and never thought twice about weight gain. (then again we didn't have any issues.) Also, my nipples finally healed with pumping & I'm scared of ruining them again. The last thing is that I don't think I can tandem nurse. I've always needed 2 hands/arms to bf 1 baby. So bfing 2 babies one-at-a-time is even more time consuming than my current crazy schedule. (at least dh can help me with washing bottles & feeding-kwim?)

I'm setting little goals for myself... hopefully i can last at least until i go back to work (in 5 weeks). Thanks again!
    Mary - mom to Gabriela (3.20.99), Steven (5.17.01) and Sofia (3.20.06)

I use each kit for six hours before washing. I have also stored the whole kit in the fridge to use for the next pumping but the cold against the breast created some pain after doing that for while (blanched nipple to be exact...uggh).

Since breastmilk can remain at room temperature for 10 hours, I figured the pumping kit would still be good for at least that but go on the safe side with six hours.

You might also go ahead and purchase extra flanges, bottles, etc so that you have several sets and only have to wash up once per day.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

i rinse out with water so its not sticky during the day (quick 2 secs) and wash with soap and water after the last pump of the night!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

when at work I just stash them in a bag for the most part (usually only 4 hours between the 2 pumpings I do at work). I wash 1-2x/day at the most. If you refridgerate them, pull them out a 1/2 hour or so before so they get back to room temp or run warm water over them and shake them good. You're doing great! That's awesome.
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!