Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump rash?

Default Pump rash?

Hi all, I was wondering if someone has had an experience similar to mine. I started pumping when dd was 1 week old and EPd until we figured out nursing 11 weeks later. After the first week of pumping, I noticed that I had a red rash around the flange area on my left breast. After a week or so, the rash went down a little. But at five months pp, it's still there.

I've been to a dermatologist a few times and she doesn't know what it is. She wondered if this is just something that routinely happens to women who pump. So I thought I'd put the question out there to you all: have any of you gotten a persistent pump rash from the us of maybe too-small flanges or too-frequent pumping?

Thanks,
    Molly

Default Re: Pump rash?

no rash here and I've pumped a minimum of twice a day for the last 6 months? i did get what I'll refer to as 'pump burn' similar to rug burn from using the flex shields that were too small, however it went away after i discontinued use and it was painful while it was there....
    Last edited by @llli*lidarln; June 19th, 2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I pumped 3x's per day for almost a year. I occasionally got this pump rash - very itchy. It wasn't persistent, though. What I did that helped was wash my boobs after every pumping with warm water. Also, if it was really itchy, I would apply benedryl cream once the baby was asleep. I'd rinse before nursing her or pumping again. I think it was from the flanges rubbing skin with milk around them touching - KWIM?

Molly,

Don't know what that rash is caused from but I just started getting it this week. Weird. Does yours come and go or stick around? Mine is there after some pumpings and not after others so I'm thinking it may be how the flange was rubbing at that pumping.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Fran, mine's stuck around for months since I first started pumping. I haven't pumped that breast for six weeks now, but I can still see the outline of the rash. It's pretty subtle now though.

Well, it sounds like a rash of some sort is pretty common and has to do with the flanges and how they fit. I can buy that. I'm lopsided (sigh) and the rash is only only on the bigger boob ("the tank"), so it makes sense that the flanges would fit differently on it and maybe caused some long term tissue damage. Pump burn, we could call it.

Thanks for all your answers ladies!

I have pumped 3 times or more a day for almost 11 mo's now and I have not had any problems.
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing