Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Omega 3 supp.

Question Omega 3 supp.

Okay - I have searched around the posts and am looking for as definitive of an answer to taking Omega 3 supplements that I can find. But alas, I am coming up empty handed...
    I have a few samples of some, that I can't find in the stores, from my OB that I take off and on (since I don't have too many) but would like to take them more regularly since I hear they help with a miriad of issues...
    Any info from you fine gals on the amount that is "safe" to take so I can just buy a "regular" supplement? I have looked up (read: reasearched in the wee hours of the morning) on the net to find some info and am still a bit confuzled...
    Thanks for any info!
    Eme (BTW - Happy August!!)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Omega 3 supp.

You might find this info helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...HA-mother.html

On a personal note, I would urge you to be wary of any product that promotes the idea that breastmilk, as is, is not good enough.

HTH!

When I was pregnant, I was prescribed prenatal vitamins that had them in there. I hated the taste though. I just started to eat a 1/4 cup of walnuts a day instead. The mother's body produces omega-3 fatty acids in the breastmilk. Even if the mother is on a diet of coke and twinkies, her body makes the stuff in the milk.

Hi there Jolie! Thanks for the post & link. I do believe I read that page in my previous quest, but I thank you for it as I have bookmarked it this time for reference

On a personal note, I would urge you to be wary of any product that promotes the idea that breastmilk, as is, is not good enough.
    so true & I fully agree!!! I just was curious for my benefit also... not just DS. (okay that may sound bad, but i hope it comes across better than it sounds)

I still wonder though, as my diet unfortunately is a bit "deficient" in the foods listed high in the PUSF if it would be wise to continue a scattered supplement "ritual"...
    Thoughts?

thanks again
    eme

OH! I just saw jentuts post and I can do walnuts for sure.. they're my fav! Actually I dump loads of them into my banana bread that I make from scratch about once a week... I started using whole wheat flour too and the kids & DH can't tell - tho' they said they would be able too - teehee

.... coke and twinkies - boy I miss the days of old!
    Thanks!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi!
    You'll want high vitamin CLO that has SAFE Vit. A in it. The best out there are:

Dr. Ron's High Vitamin Old Fashioned Blue Ice Pure Cod Liver Oil, 1-877-472-8701, www.drrons.com

Radiant Life, Premier High Vitamin Cod Liver Oil, (888) 593-8333, www.radiantlifecatalog.com

Blue Ice, High Vitamin Cod Liver Oil, (402) 338-5551, www.greenpasture.org

A tsp. a day and up to 2 tsp. a day if your pg.
    If you want to read more on CLO, check out http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...-oil-menu.html

Omega-3! I call this the "super fat." "Super Baby Food" has been an excellent resource for my dd's foods - and in there, the author states that flaxseed is one of the absolute best sources of Omega-3 that you can consume naturally - by eating it. No supplement needed. Why take pills when you can eat yummy food?

We don't eat a lot of fish (also another great source), so I buy flaxseeds at the store and then grind them at home in a coffee grinder - and sprinkle this on many different things - especially cereals, oatmeals, etc. You can bake with it, too - or you can leave the seeds whole and mix them into salads, etc.

I also put the ground seeds into my dd's yogurt at lunch. It's a good yogurt thickener, too.

This book is full of helpful info like this.

I hope this helps!

oh thank you, thank you for the great replies/suggestions!!!!!

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Just wanted to add, if you do decide to take cod liver oil, they suggest that to avoid a vitamin A or D overdose not to take it in the summer to take regular fish oil instead. In the summer we make lots of vitamin D in the sun. There are some really nice articles on it here...

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html