Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to swich to the bottle?

Default When to swich to the bottle?

I have to go back to work after 3 months, and want to figure out when is a good time to introduce the bottle, so the babysitter doesn't have trouble and so my hubby can help with feedings. When is the recommended time?

Default Re: When to swich to the bottle?

lll recomends waiting at least 6 weeks..
    heres a link
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html
    heres a link to the working and pumping stories from new beginings.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBworking.html

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio
    lll recomends waiting at least 6 weeks..
    Actually they say:
    "Once a baby is three to four weeks old and has had lots of practice nursing, he is more likely to be able to switch back and forth between the different feeding methods." (Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, page 153)

HTH!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

woops

I have the same question...ddis 5 1/2 weeks old, and dad wants to helpwith feedings once in a while. Tried to introduce bottle first time yesterday (dr Browns) dd absolutely refused! Any reccomendations on bottles/nipples or how to introduce the first time?

my husband gave our dd her first bottle at 3 weeks. we use avent bottles, and she took it just fine. dd is now 12 weeks old, and sometimes she'll play with the nipple, pushing it out of her mouth, but if my mom or husband keeps at it, she'll eventually drink the milk in the bottle. dd definitely likes warm milk (a tad bit warmer than room temperature). one time she was refusing the bottle, i warmed it up a bit more and she drank the whole thing! also, if she's crying and refusing the bottle, you may try to burp your baby. my dd would fuss at the bottle, but only because she had to burp. after i burped her, she took the bottle. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by brensmom
    I have the same question...ddis 5 1/2 weeks old, and dad wants to helpwith feedings once in a while. Tried to introduce bottle first time yesterday (dr Browns) dd absolutely refused! Any reccomendations on bottles/nipples or how to introduce the first time?
    There is a link posted above with some tips on how to introduce the bottle. However, there are lots of ways Dad can help with feeding--he can bring baby to you, get you things to eat and drink, burp the baby, change her diaper (my DH would often change a diaper WHILE I was nursing in the side lying position in the middle of the night, LOL--it worked great b/c it didn't wake baby up).

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!