Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latching on

Default latching on

sorry i dont know where to put this. but im trying really hard to get away from formula due to lack of milk. well anyway when i do try and bf my baby doll it seems after a short period of latching on she wont stay on. she squrms or whips her head around and then crys about being hungry then i have to feed her formula. any help on keeping her latched on?

i think it may be due to little milk supply

Default Re: latching on

heres a link to start with My Newborn has never really gotten the hang of nursing. How can I get him back to the breast?

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

it sounds like she is learning to prefer the bottle over the breast, some babies have that problem.

heres how to increase your supply
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html

Good for you on trying to give your baby the gift of breastfeeding. I am so sorry to hear you are struggling.

I think the best idea would be to have your local LLL leader evaluate your situation, and they can take a look at your latch and positioning. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer where they can actually see mom and baby and eyeball any obvious problems.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free.

Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

You can find a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultant's here.

You may also benefit from some suggestions here:

Help -- My Baby Won't Nurse!

Good luck!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

thank you guys so much ill have to call and give it a try. thanx again!!

I wanted to suggest the SNS as a way to get back to the breast as well, there's a link called "alternative feeding meathods" in the article paint-the-moon posted.