Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finally sleeping longer- what about milk supply?

Default Finally sleeping longer- what about milk supply?

Question is basically in the title.

My 5 month old is *Finally* starting to sleep longer stretches through the night. That means she isnt waking every 2 to 3 hours to feed. The first few nights, I was extremely engorged but now my milk supply has suddenly seemed to dip. I was producing 7 or 8 ounces (have to pump during the day since she's at daycare) and now Im getting roughly 3 or 4 ounces. I assume its attributed to the sudden change in her eating schedule.

Is this something to worry about or will it all balance itself out in time. She is eating 5 ounce bottles at day care so in reality Im currently not producing enough for her.

I REALLY hesitate to wake her during the night to feed (in order to keep my supply going) - for obvious reasons !

Default Re: Finally sleeping longer- what about milk supply?

You said you were hesitant to wake your baby while she's sleeping. As well as concerned about your milk supply. Here are two suggestions. Number one, you could just wake yourself up and pump without disturbing her. That way you can store even more ebm for her while she's at daycare. Number two is, just let your supply adjust all on it's own. Eventually supply just meets the demands that is placed on it. Hope that helps any.

I also have a 5 month old and wondered the same thing. I was told not to worry about pumping. I am concerned also and decided to pump if he doesn't wake up. Then with my luck he will wake up right afterwards and want to nurse. Im not sure what is the best pump or let it go natures way.

Hi! I just wanted to mention that two nights ago my baby started sleeping for 6 hours straight and after feeding her only once, she slept another 4 hours till morning. This is a vast improvement from waking every 2 - 3 hours. The next morning, I noticed that I almost overflowed one collection cup with milk on just one side! I had never pumped that much before. So it looks like the less she ate at night, the more milk I had in the morning. And I am now easily able to keep up with her without even adding a pumping session. Plus, I'm always thirsty before I go to bed, so I drink a ton of water before going to bed. I think that helps too. But I now notice that I am somewhat uncomfortably full in the mornings. So if that's the case, it may be a good suggestion to pump once during the night. Good luck!

Waking her to eat at night will do nothing for your daytime supply - it'll just keep up your night time supply. Personally, I've never been the type to wake a sleeping baby, lol. But that is probably because none of my kids have ever slept for longer than 2-3 hours throughout the night until they were nearly 2 years old. There's really no reason to wake your 5 month old as long as she's getting enough to eat throughout the day.

If baby should decide to start waking up in the night on her own & needing to nurse then your supply will respond within 24 to 48 hours. But you always have milk so there's no need to worry that you'll run out altogether.

Enjoy your sleep!

So................When my baby wakes up the first time to eat which is usually about 4-6 hours after he went to sleep he eats one side, I try to get him to take both after he does at least 10 min one side just to keep both sides replenishig. However, that doesn't always work. He still wakes up about 3-4 hours after that feed and then it is usually only 2 for the up for the day (sorta I put in bed and feed him on his side and he usually falls back to sleep for another hour or so). If I cannot get both sides during a feed do I have to get up and pump? I am so tired from 6mo of only getting 2-3 hours that I relish the idea of someday getting maybe 4-6 in a row. But I too worry about dwindling supply. During the day my baby doesn't really demand to eat, I just put him there every 3 hours and he sometimes eats good and other times just plays around. We are going to start solids next week and I plan to nurse first and then offer solids inbetween the next nursing session, is that OK?

I still say this is the most confusing part of new motherhood.

K

Quote Originally Posted by soldierwife
    I also have a 5 month old and wondered the same thing. I was told not to worry about pumping. I am concerned also and decided to pump if he doesn't wake up. Then with my luck he will wake up right afterwards and want to nurse. Im not sure what is the best pump or let it go natures way.
    I have pumped & within 30 mins DD got up but don't worry, you're never out of milk, she just has to work a bit harder to get it initially. DD sleeps anywhere from 6-8 hours but I wake up automatically (usually in a deep sweat) and pump the right b/c she nurses from the left. Sometimes I'll pump both depending on how close to morning it is. Someday I'll work on not pumping in the night but I usually can pump 5-6 ozs so I want to continue it for now to continue to stash for later.

"I still say this is the most confusing part of new motherhood." Absolutely 110% agree with that!!