Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how many feeds for a 5 month old?

Default how many feeds for a 5 month old?

My son is just 5 months..how often should he be nursing now during day...i read that it was 8- 12 a day, and he was always around the 9 feeds a day mark..and he went 2-3 hrs in day and 3 hrs at night..he always has been a very quick feeder. last week he went thro a bit of a growth spurt and went up to 14 feeds a day for a cpl days, but he put on 20 oz in 3 weeks, up from 8 oz the previous week, he had slowed down his weight gain around the 3-4 month mark..previously he was putting on average 10-15 oz a week!!

but lately over nigth he has been going 5-6 hrs, which while it is good from a sleep pov, he has actually, just suddenly cut out 2 feeds a day, so now down to 7....and he doesnt seem to make up for it during day...there has been the odd occasion he has gone over 3 hrs in day also, something he never did before......but his feeings in day now are occasionally a struggle..especially if dh in house as he so distracted...altho he been like this for a few weeks now and still put on 20 oz in 3 weeks so not ahuge problem.......but is it ok to have just suddenly gone down to 7 feedings a day..one day he was his usual 9 or more, then the next night he sleeps for 6 hrs (and ive never jumped out of bed so quick to check on him lol) and then all of a sudden in the space of a day he is down to 7!!......i did read 8 - 12 feeds a day so have had it stuck in my head i think he should have at least 8, lucky for me he always naturally did....but does that change as they get older? i know ppl say to watch baby and not clock.....but i have to admit to having a bit of a ocd personality...and while i fed on demand and always have....i was happier if his "demands" were a minimum of 8...now im all worried .

He was 8lbs 1 oz born and is now 16 lbs 4 btw(at 20 weeks)
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Default Re: how many feeds for a 5 month old?

Sounds relatively typical

Before I spout any wisdom how about you check out this resource and see if anything there sounds familiar and/or do-able
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Also how is his diaper output now that he's cut down? it's ok to worry we all do!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

he still has around 6 very wet nappies....he has been dry over night since about 6 weeks old..so that is 10 hrs he goes, then is dry when first up, but soaks a nappy, like 3 nappies worth..in the first hour ....he used to always have 1 large poop in am, then 1 - 2 smaller ones the rest of the day..but recently he has had the odd day when he hasnt gone at all, or had only 1 decent poop in the evening.
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samj View Post
    he still has around 6 very wet nappies....he has been dry over night since about 6 weeks old..so that is 10 hrs he goes, then is dry when first up, but soaks a nappy, like 3 nappies worth..in the first hour ....he used to always have 1 large poop in am, then 1 - 2 smaller ones the rest of the day..but recently he has had the odd day when he hasnt gone at all, or had only 1 decent poop in the evening.
    sounds typical
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Have you recently started solids? Any other changes in daily pattern? If diapers and output still look ok, then just follow your baby. Every baby is different, but ALL moms worry.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

i have not started solids(despite having been bought baby cereal by mil) and nothing really changed, he had his few days when he fed loads, 14-15 times a day and since then he is feeding less than he did before those couple days....