Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just started nursing again after 2 LONG months

Default Just started nursing again after 2 LONG months

I had posted on this site a while back after having issues with weight gain in my daughter, then ended up supplementing with a bottle, then she began refusing the breast... I ended up EP for 2 months, while still trying to get her back on the breast... well at 3 1/2 months i finally got her to nurse exclusively! after 2 whole months of bottles. But now i have doubts, worries and questions. When she nurses she still gets pretty upset at the slow flow, but we perservere and she will eventually calm down once she gets a let down. She will actively swallow for only maybe 1-2 minutes though then go back to choppy sucks. Is this long enough or am i low supply? (i was pumping approx. 19 oz. per day before) i know she drains my breast faster and better, so i am guessing she will get more than 19 oz. at the breast. She really only nurses maybe 10 minutes and i will have maybe 2-3 letdowns, with that being most of her active swallowing, then back to choppy sucks. Then she nods off. I have been trying to nurse her every 2 hours to boost my supply, and i am paranoid she will not get enough. So far today she has had 3 wet diapers after being awake about 4 hours. no poops yet. (but that's pretty normal for her) My biggest question is is only 3-5 minutes total of active swallowing enough? (with a few occasional swallows while she is eliciting another letdown) Thanks!

Default Re: Just started nursing again after 2 LONG months

I am definitely not an expert but I'd say it sounds normal. I want to congratulate you for getting her back to the breast.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Thanks so much, it was quite a surprise we were taking a bath then she just turned her head and started to nurse. Go figure!

What you describe sounds pretty good to me, since older babies do tend to become more efficient nursers and get a full meal in a short time. But if you're worried, you might want to rent a professional scale and weigh your baby before and after nursing, just to see how much she takes in during a nursing session.

What a great success you've had! Thank you for sharing your story!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congratulations on resuming nursing. That's fantastic!

I think if her wet/dirty diapers continue to be normal then that is a good indicator of her getting enough milk.

DS was always been an efficient nurser until he started to comfort nurse after 6 months. He'd nurse for 3-5 minutes tops.

Keep up the good work, mama!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?