Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping sked at work

Default Pumping sked at work

I am aware that the best way to increase your milk supply is to direct-feed your baby as often as possible, and when you're away from your baby, to express milk at least every 2-3 hours. I try and pump at work every 2-3 hours, but as all working mom knows, it's hard to follow such schedule because of the workload.

Right now, I pump 5 times a day, roughly around these times:
    before going to work (around 8-9am)
    11-12am
    2-3pm
    5-6pm
    then another one around 9-10 when I get home, depending on LO's last feeding time before I got home

At every session, I get around 3-4oz. If I get lucky, I get 6oz before I go to work. So that makes around 20oz a day. But my baby is starting to consume more than that now.

Somebody said that the average amount of milk you can express is 2-4oz each session. Anything more than that is considered as an "oversupply". Is that true? And to increase supply, add another pumping session. But in the sked I mentioned, I'm not sure how I can still add one more pumping session. Unless I wake up in the middle of the night to pump. But that would mean I won't be getting enough sleep, which I believe will further affect my milk production.

And to think that I'm using an Avent manual. I won't be getting my Ameda Purely Yours until around 2nd week of July, because it will be shipped to my by a friend from California (I'm from the Philippines, by the way). In the meantime, I have to make do with my manual pump and battle with increasing my milk supply AND the exhaustion I get after each pumping session.

I need your suggestions on how I can increase my milk supply. I really want my baby to be 100% breastfed.

TIA!
    Last edited by @llli*mommyontop; June 18th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.
    MommyOnTop
    Mom to Issen (11.02.06) and Kobe (04.10.08)

Default Re: Pumping sked at work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyontop View Post
    Somebody said that the average amount of milk you can express is 2-4oz each session. Anything more than that is considered as an "oversupply".
    TIA!
    I don't think that's true at all. I pumped anywhere from four to eight ounces in a session. If your lo is eating it, it isn't oversupply!

From my experience, adding pumping sessions to build supply only worked during the first month. After that, if I wanted to increase my output I had to pump for longer and massage my breast while pumping. But maybe other moms have had different experiences?

Default Re: Pumping sked at work

You're getting quite a few ounces for a manual pump. Maybe the electric pump will help with your supply once it arrives.

The lactation consultant recommended I try power pumping to increase my supply to keep up with baby's needs. For one hour pump for ten minutes then rest for ten minutes. This will simulate cluster feeding for your body and, hopefully, send the body a message that the LO needs to eat more than it's producing. Do the power pump three times a day (not in addition to when you're already pumping, just in place of your regular pumpings).

There are also some herbs and medications that can help with supply, specifically Fenugreek (an herbal supplement) and domperidone or Reglan to increase your prolactin. I'm not sure what's available in the Philippines.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008