Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does your LO eat?

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default How long does your LO eat?

My baby is 5 1/2 months old. She's gone from eating for long stretches, often 30-45 minutes, to only eating a few minutes at a time. I realize she is probably eating a lot faster than when she was a newborn, but I'm afraid she's not getting a full nursing session. She cries if I try to lay her down again to eat after she stops, but she also acts hungry afterwards. I never know if she's done eating or not. She has plenty of wet/dirty diapers, so she's eating enough, but milk is often still streaming out when she stops eating.

Default Re: How long does your LO eat?

My dd is also 5 1/2 months old. During the day she nurses for very short periods of time, less then 10 minutes. How often are you nursing? I'm still nursing every 2 - 2 1/2 hours. The only time dd really nurses a long time is right b/4 going to sleep at night. Then she will nurse for 45 minutes to an hour She's good then for about 6-7 hours. She'll wake once during the night for a quick fill up then back to sleep. When your LO comes off the first time, does she need to burp? Maybe a burp and then back to feed? I would say as long as she's gaining good and her diapers are ok, she's most likely doing fine. Just getting curious and rather be doing anything but laying quietly to eat if she's anything like mine

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: How long does your LO eat?

Thanks for responding! DD eats about every two hours. She eats a lot in the morning and before she goes to bed. She's definitely interested in what's going on around her. She's probably fine!