Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I overfeeding?

Default Am I overfeeding?

My 5 months old has been having teething pain for some time. he cries horribly a few nights a week. Each time on and off for a few hours. we have tried everything... all the tips. However, it seems that he finds comfort at my breast. he normally quiet down at BF after trying everything. I am worried coz i always end up giving him an extra 1 to 2 feeding on the night when he suffers from pain and cries for so long. i normally BF after 1 to 2 hours since last BF and after trying other things. Is this normaly?

Default Re: Am I overfeeding?

So let me see if I understand what you're saying. Your son sems to be uncomfortable and so you'll nurse him more and that helps him? You're wondering if this is a problem that you're nursing him more often?

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

As long as he is finding comfort from the pain and you don't mind the extra sessions I don't see a problem with it. I don't know how me and my LO would have gotten through teething if it weren't for comfort nursing .
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

My son seems more than uncomfortable. he's screaming and crying for long time when he seems to be in pain. we tried bathing him to distract him. we tried the gel, we tried crushed ice in socks, we tried pacifiers, we tried rubbing his gum with my finer, we tried many other things. we normally try everything and then its about 1.5 to 2 hours later and he still wouldnt stop crying or screaming until i nurse him. On occasions, even BF doesnt work as he is in too much pain and refuses. i thought when babies are teething that they would be on nursing strikes. i dont quite understand why BF seems to calm him down.

Why does nursing help? I believe that there is a natural pain reducer in breast milk that helps babies when they are teething. He's been getting comfort from your breast for 5 months, so it's only natural that now that he's got awful pain from teething, he wants to nurse. Maybe you could offer him the breast sooner, so that he'll calm down sooner.

it's really hard to "over-feed" a breastfed baby. It's much easier to over-feed a bottle fed infant because the baby doesn't have to work as hard to get the milk out. I would not worry about over-feeding, but instead offer the breast as often as he wants it during his teething phases. Your milk helps him, don't keep it from him
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

OKay -well then yes, by all means, especailly since it helps him - nurse him as he finds fit (and you, too) As previously said - you can't "over feed". some babys need more comfort nursing than others.. (more info here)

SOme babies go through stikes when teething (and other times) but many find nursing soothing and comforting.
    Last edited by @llli*number3; June 17th, 2008 at 03:21 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thanks everyone. i have been struggling for some time now - between offering him comfort and worrying if i am doing something wrong = overfeeding.