Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Birthday Cake- Silly Question

Default First Birthday Cake- Silly Question

Hey!
    I have read several people's ideas for healthier first birthday cakes and I want to do something healthier for my LO, but I have a silly question...
    If my LO has never had a bunch of the ingredients in the cake, should I worry about that- I mean an allergic reaction to the eggs, flour,etc?
    She LOVES strawberries and has had them a bunch, so I thought about making her a mini strawberry shortcake with a little cake, some strawberries and then some whipped cream on top. I figured that would be not SO sugary and she'd actually eat the strawberries! Any thoughts?

Also, I was trying to search on here for any tips on BPA free sippy cups...I heard that the Nuby brand was BPA free....not sure. I'm going to go google it and see what I found! I thought some of you wise mamas might know!
    Thanks!
    Proud Mommy to:
    Savannah Hope
    6-22-07
    8 lbs 12 oz at birth, now 32 lbs!! and Baby #2 on the way!

Default Re: First Birthday Cake- Silly Question

If baby has had any flour/grain product and shown no issues, that probably won't be a problem. Has he had eggs yet? If not you could give some yolk to test. OTherwise if the berries are fine, then you've got an okay there too...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mickeymommy View Post
    If my LO has never had a bunch of the ingredients in the cake, should I worry about that- I mean an allergic reaction to the eggs, flour,etc?
    IMO - a very very bad idea to introduce several new foods that are top allergens for the first time at your LO b-day party.

There's a mom here who found out the hard way that her LO had several allergies (I think dairy & egg) when the LO had a reaction at her b-day party.

Either introduce the new foods in advance, or make a cake without any of these ingredients.

Dairy & egg free spice cake (including version with non-wheat flour)

Another good allergen-free cake recipe here.

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

That actually sounds like a really cute idea!!!

You could always test run the cake and make one ahead of time and see if she has a reaction.

From my experience, my son did not eat any of his cake- we don't do sweets with him and it was too sweet so he simply played with it and that was it. Everyone got their pictures of him with frosting though.

Keep us posted on the outcome, sounds wonderful.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks for all the tips ladies! I'm going to be baking soon! I think I'm going to try one of the egg and dairy free recipes.
    Hope it all turns out well!
    Thanks for the support and info!
    I'll tell you how it goes after the big day, Saturday!
    Proud Mommy to:
    Savannah Hope
    6-22-07

Good luck!

For a dairy-free frosting, I use rice milk & powdered sugar. It's a very little amount of rice milk mixed into what seems to be ALOT of powdered sugar!

I do it by feel, but can look up some recipes if you'd like.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My DD has a first birthday coming up next month as well. Is there anything other than milk and egg that I should be concerned about in "regular" cake and frosting. DD hasn't had any allergies to foods so far and DH and I are both allergy free. We want to serve her a yellow cake with buttercream frosting. Just want to make sure I have all my bases covered to avoid any problems at her party.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Anyone ever made icing with powdered sugar and EBM?
    just wondering...I may try it!
    Proud Mommy to:
    Savannah Hope
    6-22-07

Default Re: First Birthday Cake- Followup

Hey! I just wanted to post a followup to tell how my DD's 1st birthday party went. I did make the Wacky Cake recipe that someone posted on here. THANKS! I made cupcakes and the 1st batch tasted gross ( I used self rising flour and the vinegar that the recipe called for... yuck! I did a second batch and ditched the vinegar since I had self rising flour and they tasted good, not super sweet like grocery store cupcakes, but good. For icing for my LO I did confectioners sugar and EBM. I tasted it myself, and it was good. I just used cows milk and confectioners sugar for the other cupcakes. To make my DH happy, I bought 2 cake mixes and made " normal" cake, as he called it for the other guests to eat. My DD refused to nap before the party and I thought she was going to be a fussy girl, but she hung in there OK. She wasn't too interested in the cake, she licked the icing some...yummy BM icing and she licked the strawberries I put on top. ( She lOVES strawberries!) Thankfully, I survived the party without one rude comment from anyone about "now that she's 1, are you going to start weaning". I guess they learned in the 1st year of her life not to bring up stuff like that with me!
    One funny part was when I told people what was in her icing (after they asked me) there were some people who thought BM was in ALL the icing on all the cakes...their reactions were funny!!
    Thanks for all the help ladies!!
    Proud Mommy to:
    Savannah Hope
    6-22-07

Default Re: First Birthday Cake- Followup

COngrats and I am impressed with the bm icing, I would have put it in everyones just for spite
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."