Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamin for 9 mo old?

Default Vitamin for 9 mo old?

We visited the pediatrician today, and he advised putting my son on a vitamin supplement with iron. My son's not anemic; in fact, his iron levels were "excellent"--as in 4 points higher than the baseline. Ped said to give the baby the supplement once a day to keep him from becoming anemic. Do I really need to give my son a supplement? He's doing great; he's gaining well and is healthy. So I really don't know if he needs the supplement.

Default Re: Vitamin for 9 mo old?

depends on how much you trust your pedi I guess I would be inclined to increase the amount of solids that are naturally high in iron before I would give a supplement.

However, if you are not doing solids yet, I would be more open to a supplement (if the pedi had a good reason for giving it)
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

*I* wouldn't. Especailly since he's not having a problem with it now. This link give a little more info you might find useful.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks ladies. I think I'm going to hold off on the supplement, and I'll just give my son iron rich foods.

If it is not medically necessary I would recommend doing your own research first. Here is another link
    http://wwww.llli.org/vitamin.html