Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else have mixed feelings???

Default Re: Did anyone else have mixed feelings???

DD still nurses in the mornings. Sometimes she will nurse in the evenings too but has started to skip some of these nursing sessions. These are the only two time she seems interested in nursing. I usually have to offer. She rarely asks to nurse anymore.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    Thomas's interest in nursing is noticeably decreasing, even the morning feeding (which is hard for me, because it was always our special time to wake up together ). He nurses at night some, before bed, but it's pretty minimal. I thought the morning one would last longer, and I struggle with wanting it to be his way and feeling I should offer--then I wonder where's the line between offering and pushing?
    IKWYM - sad for sure. We are opposite, though. DD2 will drop the am nursing before the bedtime one. I can't imagine how I will put her down without nursing first for the night! I felt like I was almost forcing her this morning, and I don't want to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laineysmom View Post
    DD still nurses in the mornings. Sometimes she will nurse in the evenings too but has started to skip some of these nursing sessions. These are the only two time she seems interested in nursing. I usually have to offer. She rarely asks to nurse anymore.
    Do you think that if you did not offer, she would wean? That's where I'm confused - should I stop offering or not. I suppose this is rhetorical - sorry!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama-cpa View Post
    Do you think that if you did not offer, she would wean? That's where I'm confused - should I stop offering or not. I suppose this is rhetorical - sorry!!
    I don't think it's rhetorical at all!! That's exactly where I'm struggling--do I offer, or do I just let it run its course, or do I do a nursing dance to the gods because I'M not ready yet?

I have mixed feelings as well but I'm the one pushing for the weaning. I know part of me will be sad when it's over, but I've provided him with love and comfort for two l-o-n-g years and I'm done!
    Stay-at-"Home"-Mom to DS born 5/9/06

I think if you want to continue to nurse you should offer. Don't force, but offer. Don't ask, don't refuse is a weaning technique. So, if you are not asking if lo wants to nurse you are in a way doing mother led weaning, which is fine if that is what you want.

For my DD, I am not for sure what would happen if I did not offer. I offer at night and she turns me down sometimes. In the morning, however, I usually nurse her before I get out of bed. She is sometimes half alseep when we start but she gets mad when I stop. On weekends when I don't wake her up and she wakes up on her own, she usually jumps at it when I ask if she wants to nurse. I am not for sure if she would eventually ask if I did not offer or if she would just go on about her day.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

to you all. it's scary when they seem to lose interest. ds is 16m and a few times has dropped nursign right down to just a little at lunch then one before bed (still all night tho), but we always seem to get back to more. it fluctuates and i figure that it will be like this a while.

it makes me sad too if i think he is getting ready to wean, but i think when you really do follow their lead, you can be proud that you have let them nurse on demand and wean in their own time.

i don't think offering your breast is pushy - i often offer during the day and bill lets me know clearly that he is not interested! some days it goes that way, but as long as you let them turn it down without getting cross or upset, i figure it's fine to ask as many times in the day as you think they might need or want it
    "You may strive to be like them,
    but seek not to make them like you" Kahlil Gibran

I think you're right about offering--I don't know about all of you, but if Thomas isn't interested he isn't going to nurse anyway. Usually the giveaway is when he starts blowing raspberries on my boob.

I agree. I'm going to continue to offer and follow her lead. I'd say 99% of the time that I offer, she accepts readily - the other 1%, she nurses about 10 min later. She's showing more interest again, esp. in the mornings, so I think she's being a normal toddler and doing her own thing. We'll keep it up as it's good for both of us - I would be ok if she wanted to wean, but I'm not ready for MLW. However, I'm taking a HUGE step today and NOT pumping for the first time at work. I'm ditching my pump, for now, and I'm going to see how that goes. Wish me luck

Thanks all!

I'm taking a HUGE step today and NOT pumping for the first time at work. I'm ditching my pump, for now, and I'm going to see how that goes. Wish me luck

Yeah! A scary step ... I hope it goes okay for you.

I found that it took a couple weeks for my supply at pumping times to taper off. When I felt uncomfortably "full" I found it helped to either hand express or use a hand pump to "take off the edge".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)