Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else have mixed feelings???

Default Did anyone else have mixed feelings???

I think DD is weaning. This is great from some standpoints because I really did want her to self-wean. Also, we are thinking about having another lo soon and I was not sure I wanted to tandem. But, I am also VERY sad right now too. DD had been nursing morning, lunch, and before bed. A few weeks ago she started skipping the lunch time session. It has been over a week now since she nursed at lunch. Well, then she started skipping some of the evening sessions. Last night she did not nurse and then for the first time she skipped her morning nursing time too! So, she has not nursed in over 24 hours. I feel like I actually still offer but she refuses which makes it even more sad.

So, after they start skipping sessions like this does anyone know how long before they stop nursing altogether. I would like to think this is just a phase but I don't think so.

Thanks everyone!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Default Re: Did anyone else have mixed feelings???

I know what you mean. Thomas started by dropping his midday feeding a couple of months ago, and is now down to morning, night, and sometimes when I get home from work. It's so bittersweet (this morning I am still at home, waiting for him to wake up and nurse, because yesterday he was still asleep when I left and I want that time with him). I expect we'll be done in a few months, and that's really sad to me; I really was hoping to get to 2. I feel good that it's been his lead we're following, but sad too, partly because he's growing up so fast, and partly because we likely won't have more children, so when he's done nursing, I'm done too. (That may not even make sense! )

ETA: I've offered, too, and been turned down. I want to continue following his lead, and I worry about how to balance offering vs pushing, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; June 17th, 2008 at 07:00 AM.

I totally understand. I don't want to feel like I am making her nurse but yet again I want her to know it is there if she wants it. She still seems so small at times. I just can't believe she is weaning.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I can't either. I just thought it would last so much longer!

K weaned at 13 months & it was really hard on me. I am glad she did it on her own, but I was so not ready for it. It is amazing how hard it can be on us.

's Hopefully it will just be a phase.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

M weaned at 18 months.

I'd thought I was ready whenever she was. Took me a while to realize I was actually a tad depressed over her weaning. As soon as I realized why I'd been feeling so down, I was able to deal with it.

I still get a little bummed when I think about the fact that our nursing relationship is over, and it's been almost 6 months.

It was such a special, special time.

It is common to have mixed emotions. It's a strong bond and it also means they are growing up just a little.

My dd was down to morning, nap and bedtime nursing. I nursed her one day before going out w/ dh and she never ever asked again after that. She was 21 months! Hang in there!

Well, last night I pumped a little because it had been over 36 hours since she nursed and I did not want to get a plugged duct. I let her drink that and she wanted more. I told her I did not have anymore and she would need to nurse if she wanted more "yummy, yummy' (her word for bm). So she nursed before bed then again this morning. So, we will see if she wants to nurse tonight or not. Thanks everyone for letting me know the feelings are normal.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Any updates on this? My dd2 is starting to get disinterested in nursing at 16 months and I'm wondering if she is starting to wean.

Thomas's interest in nursing is noticeably decreasing, even the morning feeding (which is hard for me, because it was always our special time to wake up together ). He nurses at night some, before bed, but it's pretty minimal. I thought the morning one would last longer, and I struggle with wanting it to be his way and feeling I should offer--then I wonder where's the line between offering and pushing?

Normally on weekend mornings we have a good long nursing session, but yesterday he could not have been less interested, and I was teary all morning. He just seems so big now.