Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am so confused!

Default I am so confused!

DS is 7 months and BF since birth. I started him on cereal at 6 months of age and he has taken it well - oatmeal, rice, and barley. He has also done well with carrots, peas, and squash.

1) Here is something I still don't get: if I'm supposed to wait 5-7 days between foods, am I supposed to give the new food (like squash) once (or more times) per day every day for 5-7 days? Or is just giving it 2-3 times enough to see if he develops an intolerance/alllergy?

When we start fruits, for example, I am planning on doing it at the morning meal so if I start with applesauce and having nothing to alternate it with, do I give it to him every day for 5-7 days or every other day or what??? He hates eating cereal plain.

2) Also a lot of books say yogurt and cottage cheese are okay but I thought cow's milk is allergenic and to be avoided for the first year.

3) when do I move to three meals per day versus two, and what things should I be feeding at each meal - does he need cereal at every meal?

I have been doing a lot of reading and have found no real guidance on these practical issues! Help! Thanks.

Default Re: I am so confused!

This is a great place to start: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

When I started out, I would do the same food once a day for three days.

As far as moving from two meals to three, you just have to watch your baby's cues. They are known for letting you know if something's working or not. I know that's not a solid answer, but each child develops at her/his own pace. For example with my own two girls, DD1 didn't get up to three meals a day until she was over a year. DD2 has been eating three meals a day (plus snacks) since about 9 months. Follow his lead.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

yeah, I only went 3 days between new foods too. Yogurt & cottage cheese are ok at 8 mos check out this link: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/sol...ntholdbaby.htm
    Something about the fermentation/altered state they go through from the basic milk makes them much easier to digest even for people sensitive to regular milk. Although, if you have a known dairy allergy, I'd hold off.
    As far as the number of meals, there are lots of guides, but I agree with the pp, it really is more about watching your baby and they'll help guide you on that along with what makes sense with your schedule. My 8 mo old usually only gets solids at dinner, unless I happen to have something at lunch that I can share or a banana for a snack that I'll share with her. I think she's more about having what I have than actually eating.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

how do you "watch your baby's cues?" my lo wants solid food everytime someone else is eating. so how do i know to move him up from 1 meal to 2 to 3?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*matthew.mom View Post
    how do you "watch your baby's cues?" my lo wants solid food everytime someone else is eating. so how do i know to move him up from 1 meal to 2 to 3?

2 questions...

how old is he?

have you seen this resource or this one?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I've looked at all the solids links on kellymom and didn't find answers to my questions. Thanks for your help though.

I'm really, really wondering how to navigate the issue of how many times to feed the new food in a row or per day - I want to wait a week in between so must I feed just the squash with cereal every night for a whole week? Or squash more than once per day? Or just every other day for a week?

If he's had no problem with the cereal, then you can add the next food and feed the combination each day for at least three days. If you see no negative reaction, then you can introduce something new. It's important when introducing new foods to have a control with any variable you throw in the mix. So just don't throw two new things into the picture at once, otherwise you won't know which once caused the problem if there is one. That is more important (IMO) than how many times per day. I would say once a day is just right for this age.

As far as watching baby's cues..offer the food. They eat it if they want it. They refuse it if they don't or if they've had enough. That's how I watch.

And, if they refuse something, that doesn't mean they don't like it, just that they haven't decided whether or not they like it yet. Keep introducing it...I think up to twelve times or something like that before they know if they don't like it b/c it's new/different or b/c they think it tastes like crap. HTH.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

I agree - keep offering the foods your baby doesn't initially like, as long as there's no sign of a reaction. My son had carrots about twice and then decided he didn't like them. I continued putting them on his tray (without comment) at least twice a week for almost a year before he deigned to put another one in his mouth...and now he can't get enough of them! I read that it can take 20 tastes before a baby decides he/she likes something. Persistence is the key, and lack of comment if he shows dislike. My LO has an amazingly varied diet and everyone's super-impressed when he asks for more greens!

FWIW we introduced foods with long intervals (like 2 weeks) because LO showed signs of intolerance/allergy to foods in my diet and I had to go dairy-and-soy-free for the first year of BF. People tend to introduce at much shorter intervals if there is no history of allergy in the family and baby has shown no signs of reacting to anything.

I hope this helps rather than adds to the confusion:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/sol...ntholdbaby.htm
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

The foods you are feeding a 7-month-old are not for nutrition, they're for learning about food. Nobody else said this yet, so I'm going to say: Nurse him just as much as you did before starting the solids. The goal is not to jam a jar of baby food into him! The goal is for him to start experimenting with tastes and textures. His mother's milk is the nutrition he needs for the whole first year and beyond, and you don't want to *replace* that with solids until he's around a year old. For babies fed man-made milk replacement, starting solids is an important part of nutrition as their man-made milk replacement doesn't contain all the trace things that human milk does. Your baby drinks the perfect stuff so you don't have this concern.

If you don't have a family history of allergies, you probably don't need to do anything special with timing of new foods. If the little nipper is wanting food every time anyone eats, try just offering a tiny pile of whatever everyone else is eating, smashed up with a fork or a microplane grater. No extra work means easier for you, and baby will be eating with the family. Let him feed himself with his fingers. It's messy but also easier, plus he can regulate his intake better.

If you notice signs of food sensitivity, at that point you can start worrying about introducing new things spaced apart so you can figure out what he's sensitive to. But if he can handle the family's usual foods fine, then no worries.

Things to avoid for all babies under 1, regardless of family history: Nuts, egg protein (the whites), non-human milk protein (hence the not giving cow milk until 1 year of age). Sometimes around 8 or 9 months people start with egg whites and yogurt or cheese, as the baby's digestive system is more mature by then.

It's way easier to feed the baby if you wait until he's fussing at not being given table foods, and then start offering smashed table foods. No special food for baby means no extra work for mother.
    Lollie
    Mommy to Juni 7 and Jas 5
    Too lazy to use a crib, bottle-feed, wean, or pack school bags

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lollie View Post
    Nurse him just as much as you did before starting the solids. The goal is not to jam a jar of baby food into him! The goal is for him to start experimenting with tastes and textures. His mother's milk is the nutrition he needs for the whole first year and beyond, and you don't want to *replace* that with solids until he's around a year old.
    This is such a good point!