Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it? Confused Dom?s

Default Is it? Confused Dom?s

Is it milk extraction or pumping that gets more milk? I havent been getting much with the pumping alone. I get alot more by hand expressing. So i pump for about 5 min then hand express.
    Should I be pumping more even though i dont get hardly any out?
    I know it may be a stupid question but i have read that the more milk you get out the more u make. I am just confused i guess.

What is the dose of dom u take? I have read 20mg 4xs is the start and also 30mg 3xs a day. But max is 40mg 4xs a day.

What is the norm?
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Default Re: Is it? Confused Dom?s

Well, the proper answer would be that you should take as much as your Dr. prescribes.

However, I got my Dom from an island in the Pacific so I followed Dr Newman's advice. Here is a Kellymom link with excerpts from his book. He generally recommends 30 x 3. That link has some good advice for when to use Domperidone as well as weaning from it.

As far as which is better, pumping or expressing, I would say to do some of both. Because it is both the stimulation of the nipples as well as getting out milk so your body will make more.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*thebluebird View Post
    Well, the proper answer would be that you should take as much as your Dr. prescribes.

I am not getting them from a dr, i am getting mine from inhousepharmacy and i was looking at Kellymom.com and it says:

Using Domperidone:
    Generally, we now start domperidone at 30 mg (three 10 mg tablets) 3 times a day. In some situations we go as high as 40 mg 4 times a day. Printouts from the pharmacy often suggest taking domperidone 30 minutes before eating, but that is because of its use for digestive intolerance.

I started out 20mg 4xs a day and then when i read that on Kellymom.com i went to 30mg 3xs a day and now i went up to 40mg 3xs a day a week later. and i have been here for 2 weeks or so. I am increasing a little each day so i am going to stay here.

I am getting about 2 oz a day now. I get a little more every day. Yesterday it was 61ml and so far today i have 51ml and still have a few more pump times before bed. I am not waking up at night to pump but i am thinking about it so i can get more milk.
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

That's great that it seems to be working! It is rough sometimes, I know. I got mine from Inhousepharmacy too.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

An empty breast makes milk, so whatever you can do to get the milk out of the breast is good. Pumping or hand expression, whichever combination works best for you. I tried to hand-express after every pumping session, I got a few extra sprays/drops that way.

Southwestern Ontario, the banana belt of Canada!

Have a look at this video. It was produced for moms pumping for premies, and shows combining pumping, breast compression, and hand expression to get the most possible milk. Seems VERY effective. Wish I had known about this when I was pumping years ago!http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html