Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possible Relactation

Default Possible Relactation

OK. So I posted on the blue forum about this. But most ppl are over here too.

My dd is 3 and a half months and I am thinking about relactating. I stopped bf during the day at 8 wks and altogether at 10.

I can still get milk if I try to hand express.

I took at bath with her today to try and get her interested. She laid on my stomach and was happy to look around and smile. She did end up nuzzling (sp?) my breasts, but mostly wasn't paying attention to them. Is this normal?

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Default Re: Possible Relactation

Yes it is normal and more than that, it is great news!

Keep pumping and keep giving your lo plenty of opportunities to nurse. Cheering for you!

Should I be taking fungreek (sp?) or should I wait until she starts to nurse again?

And I know maybe it should be obvious. But how often should I be pumping? And should I do it at night too??
    Last edited by @llli*danalynn724; June 17th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.

1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

And yes, galactagogues like fenugreek are often found to be helpful. There's a huge list of galactagogues here: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html That is not a LLL site, but has good info.

The general recommendation is to pump 8x every 24 hours, including at least once in the middle of the night, and first thing in the morning (like early morning).
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

So I pumped today for the first time, just to see how it would go. And in 10 minutes I got enough to fill the very bottom ring of the bottle (not the whole bottom, just the ring around the outside kwim) and on the other side I got a drip. But at least I got something right???

1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

That's a great start!!

I can remember when I was pumping to increase supply I started with just a few drops...

Southwestern Ontario, the banana belt of Canada!

That's wonderful! Have a look at this video about pumping; the moms seem to be getting out that last drop of milk! It shows how to pump while compressing the breasts, and then to hand express to get more. You'll find something that works for you!
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html