Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frustrated

Default Frustrated

I need some advice. I am a single mother and I am living with my grandparents until I can get on my feet. It is beyond the most difficult thing I have ever done. My grandmother is constantly telling my that my son is nursing too much, needs to go to sleep on his own, and needs to be able to entertain himself.

He is four months old and eats about every two hours, but I nurse on demand so I am not too sure. I have an OLD and he gets full really quick so maybe that is a reason he eats so often? I try to explain that to her and she just tells me that I should nurse longer, even though I explain that I cannot. At night I nurse him to sleep and he sleeps in my bed. Two things that she is against. I have to hear about it all the time and she has to tell me the way things should be done. I have a step mom who was a LLL leader and is so supportive of everything I do and she raised her children the same way. So, it helps some, but my grandmother thinks that I only want to take my step mom's advice and she gets her feelings hurt.

I do not know what to do, but I am constantly feeling like I am doing everything wrong. I just want to be able to parent my child. I am so grateful that they are letting me live here, but I don't want to feel guilty when I am nursing him every two hours.
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

We LOVE and loving and and we are getting used to cloth diapering!

Default Re: Frustrated

Sorry, mama. That's gotta be tough. Would she respond at all to seeing some printed info showing the reasons why you're doing what you're doing? I mean, so she knows it's not just your crazy idea? I wish I had better advice. Hang in there!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

You're the mother. If you let her push you around, you set the precedence that she CAN push you around. If you are FIRM with her EVERY TIME, then she will learn that she has to respect your right to parent the way you see fit. Stay strong Mama! You are doing GREAT!!!

Way too lazy for formula

yup
    you can do it.
    If you have to excuse your self every time they start that might end it.
    hard to fight if you close the subject.
    I lived with my mom when my oldest was born.
    IT was hard!

Smile Re: Frustrated

I feel for you, it is hard and after a while you find yourself even believing in them, and doubting yourself b/c they go on and on about it so much. My MIL (p.s. my mother passed away) is in her 80's and it sounds like she's got the some views and visions as your grandmother.

Stay strong and focus you are doing well, you are suppose to be BF on demand anyway! Keep following your baby's cues and needs. I am glad you came on here to talk to us. We will keep you going!

Thanks so much for the support. You are so right. I often start to doubt myself on the way I am doing things. But I have researched everything that I am doing and know that I am not hurting my son in any way. It's nice to come on here and have that confirmed. I love LLL!
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

We LOVE and loving and and we are getting used to cloth diapering!