Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! DD is gone for 24 hrs. When do I pump?

Exclamation Help! DD is gone for 24 hrs. When do I pump?

I spent the morning in the ER with Kidney Stones.... I'm home now. On pain meds and waiting for them to pass. Since I still felt bad when I got home, my mother took my daughter to her house for the rest of today and most of tomorrow... Now I'm not usually a pumper, so when do I pump? Do I just do during her normal feed times? Or can I just do when I feel engorged and just forget the rest. I fed my dd before she left at 1pm and will have her back before dinner tomorrow night. She's almost 5 months old and we're very well established in our supply and routine/schedule. Will one day of sporatic pumping mess up my schedule?
    Oh and I told the drs at the ER that I am breastfeeding so all meds are fine for her! My mom just took her so I can get some rest (and so my poor husband isn't too overwelmed with a 2 year old, a 5 month old and a sick wife!)
    I would appreciate a quick response on this one! Thanks!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

Default Re: Help! DD is gone for 24 hrs. When do I pump?

Is there anyway mom can come back and hang out with you and take care of baby there, so you can nurse on demand? *I* think thats the best option.

If thats not an option, *I* would pump at the intervals you'd think she would have eaten.

feel better fast
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Mom also takes care of my grandfather (92 years old with Leukemia) so coming back overnight isn't an option.
    Thanks for the quick response! I guess I'd better go pump!
    Chris

I'd encourage you to pump as often as she's nursing. One day of sporadic pumping usually is not a problem, however sometimes mother's have a bit of a dip in supply after an illness/medical problem/surgery.
    Better to head that off with pumping often today, rather than spending a week or two trying to get your supply back up!

Take it easy mama, feel better soon - those things are no fun!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

When I had to be away from DD for extended periods of time I would pump at the times when she would have normally nursed.

I totally agree with PP. We are exclusive pumpers and if I waited till I was engorged to pump, I would be hitting my freezer stash the next day. You want to make sure you will have the same supply for when you go back to nursing.

Feel better soon!!
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

I pump almost exclusively and do it every three hours. Eight times a day for 20 minutes each time even if the milk flow has stopped.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

My dd refused to drink from a bottle this morning, so my mom panicked and brought her home at 7am. She wasn't even gone 24 hours. I got about 8 oz of pumped milk overnight. She seemed to be nursing fine this morning. She nursed a few extra times today, maybe because she missed me! But we seem to be fine with supply!
    Thanks for the advice! She seems happy, content and no worse for the experience!
    Chris